𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

Two children ran around their tolou, the only thing they could focus on was the constant click clack of their sticks on the ground and the distant chatter of the villagers, the mooing of the cows, and the occasional squawk of the stray chicken that they were chasing.

These sounds were merely background noise, they had learned to ignore the constant chatter of the villagers and the sounds of the animals. They had spent their 7 years listening to these noises. These sounds did nothing to distract Mulan and Sheng. They were too focused with the task on hand. Catching the stray chicken. It sounded like quite an easy task but it was far from it, they had been chasing this stray chicken for an hour, not giving up easily.

Sweat dotted both of their foreheads as they ran back and forth, smacking their wooden sticks on the ground to get the chicken's attention. While Hua Zhou seemed tired of the task, Mulan and Sheng loved it, they had always loved a challenge and running after the stray chicken was certainly one.

"Steady Mulan, Sheng" their father's voice called out.

People had always seemed intimidated by their father, he was one a mighty warrior, he held his head high and pushed his chest out, like a warrior but he grew more and more fragile with age, his shoulders slightly slumped and his chest a bit withdrawn.

Mulan had always been the wild child. She enjoyed doing Sheng's tasks more than her own. She was supposed to be practicing her weaving while Sheng was to be helping his father with herding the chickens but she instead joined Sheng, abandoning her task. Her father paid no mind to it, always letting Mulan help with task that were considered "boyish." 

For a moment, it seemed that their task was done. Mulan and Sheng watched as their father herded the chicken into the coop, giving each other bright smiles. Mulan and Sheng noticed that one chicken had strayed away from the coop, wandering away. Mulan and Sheng's faces contorted into ones of determination. They quietly slipped away and stalked the chicken.

Sheng recalled the tale of the Turtle and the Hare. "Slow and steady wins the race" he whispered but Mulan had other plans. She took after the chicken, chasing it around the courtyard. Sheng sighed and then smiled, chasing after Mulan.

"Sheng! Mulan! Forget the chicken!" their father shouted but they paid no mind to his shouts. They only had one thing in their mind and that was to catch the chicken.

Sheng and Mulan chased after the chicken in the shrine, knocking a fruit bowl down. Mulan leapt in the air and placed her foot on the Phoenix's wing, causing a loud CRACK! as the wing broke off the phoenix. Sheng skidded to a stop and gasped, staring at the phoenix which now only had one wing. He sighed and chased after his sister, beginning the hunt with the chicken once more.

He reached the second floor, the floor in which Mulan was on. He exhaled as he caught sight of his mother, who was holding Xiu at her side.

"Mulan! Take control of yourself!" his mother shouted, accompanied by his sister, Hua Xiu. Sheng winced at the sound of his mother's voice, knowing that she would be furious at Mulan after.

Mulan's pace slowed and for a second, Sheng thought that she would listen to their mother but just as quickly, she picked up her original pace and chased after the chicken. The end of the balcony came near but she didn't slow. She stopped and climbed onto the railing, gripping the roof and throwing her leg over one side of the roof, successfully climbing up it. Sheng followed after her, peering up onto the roof as he stood on the railing, shaking his head and smiling as Mulan began her chase once more. He did not dare to look at the villager's faces, knowing that they would express their disapproval and disappointment.

The chicken came to a stop and lowered itself to the ground below. Sheng softly chuckled. Mulan watched with satisfaction, nodding to her father as he slammed the gate shut, trapping the chicken inside. Sheng let out a sigh of relief, seeing that the chase was done.