𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟏

Sheng and Mulan stared down at the woman in front of them. In death, the witch's face looked peaceful. The thought brought some comfort to Sheng and Mulan. Xianniang had been many things, but she had, at her heart, been a strong warrior. She shouldn't have had to die. She shouldn't have had to suffer at the hands of Bori Khan for so long, just so she could feel accepted, But now, at least she was free.

Getting to their feet, Sheng and Mulan pushed away the surprising grief they felt. The best thing they could do for Xianniang's memory now was defeat Bori Khan and save the Emperor. Grabbing their swords, Sheng and Mulan raced through the maze of construction. Shafts of lights pierced the shadows and the wind blew through the beams and rubble, making a low hissing sound.

Sheng and Mulan spotted Bori Khan. The warrior's back was to them. He stood in front of a large open furnace. Inside, molten metal flowed into a huge tub, filling it with the red-hot liquid. Focused on the furnace, he didn't hear Sheng and Mulan as they approached. Taking advantage of his distraction, Sheng and Mulan scanned the area, looking for any sign of the Emperor. Their eyes traveled upward and stopped as they spotted him. He was tied to a pole and bleeding from several wounds, but he was alive.

Taking a deep breath, Sheng and Mulan tiptoed over to a low beam and hopped on. Then they climbed, using the crossbars that zigzagged over the room to get closer and closer to the Emperor. They were almost to him when a large shadow loomed over them.

Bori Khan was in front of them, blocking their way to the Emperor. In the shadowy light, he looked larger than life, like something out of a nightmare. His gaze trailed over them and they saw him sneer. "The boy and girl who have come to save the dynasty," he said, his voice dripping with venom and disdain.

Sheng and Mulan knew to Bori Khan they appeared nothing more than a young man and woman. But he was wrong. They were much more. Dropping into the warrior's pose, they lifted their swords.

"If you surrender," Sheng began, "I will assure you that your death is swift and painless."

In response, Bori Khan laughed. And then--he attacked. In a smooth, powerful stroke, he swung his sword down at Sheng. The move was so quick that Sheng barely had enough time to lift his own sword to block it. But the movement knocked him off-balance, and he fell. With a thud, he slammed into the beam below him, the impact knocking the wind from his lungs.

As he struggled to his feet, Bori Khan came after him, Mulan following behind them. Sheng scrambled backwards, jumping out of the way just in time to avoid his swinging sword. Creeping along the beam, he switched his gaze back and forth between Bori Khan, Mulan and the Emperor.

Bori Khan kept coming, his cruel laughter bouncing off the beams. His sword whipped through the air, and Sheng and Mulan somersaulted to another beam to stay out of his way. The metal clanged as his sword struck the beam where Sheng and Mulan had just been moments before. Taking advantage of the miss, Sheng and Mulan raced upwards and made their way towards the Emperor. They heard Bori Khan roar with rage as he gave chase behind him.

Beam to beam they went, with Mulan and Sheng barely staying ahead of the hulking warrior. But stay ahead they did, and soon they had reached the captive Emperor. The sound of metal on metal filled the air as Mulan and Bori Khan's swords clashed. Bori Khan swung again one last time and the motion was so powerful that it sent Mulan's sword flying out of her hand.

In horror, Sheng and Mulan watched as the blade fell down, down, down toward the ground and then, with a hiss, dropped into the burning red-hot liquid contained in the furnace. Sheng and Mulan let out a cry of despair as they watched their father's sword disappear, melting into nothing.