𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

Sheng stared at the thick mist in front of him. The sun tried to cut through the grey, making it hard to see what was shadow and what was real. Astride his horse, Sheng could make out a bit more than the soldiers on the ground could. But not much more. 

Sheng had been surprised when Commander Tung had ordered them to stop in the middle of the mist-filled valley. It seemed like that would put them at a disadvantage strategically. But apparently not. This way, the commander told them, the element of surprise would be on their side. They knew which direction the Rouran army was coming from, whereas the enemy had no idea what now lay in wait. 

As the sun grew stronger, it burned off the mist. Slowly, the shadows disappeared. Sheng's breath caught in his throat as the last of the wisps disappeared, revealing a massive army across from the Imperial battalion. The Rourans seemed to cover the entire horizon, banners of dozens of tribes whipping through the air. 

In front of them all was Bori Khan. He sat astride his midnight-black stallion, his eyes cold and calculating, even from such a distance. Sheng and Mulan visibly tensed, and beneath Sheng, his horse shifted nervously on his feet. As part of the cavalry, Sheng and Mulan would be in one of the last groups to charge. But it didn't matter when in the order Sheng would go. Now that he had seen the enemy, the last tiny sliver of hope that he might avoid the battle had faded. 

Turning, Sheng saw his friends standing among the infantry: Po, Yao, Ling and Honghui. The usual confidence was gone from their faces, replaced with apprehension and fear.

His eyes stopped on Mulan. To his surprise, Mulan was staring back at him. For a moment, they held each other's gaze. He saw in Mulan's eyes the same questioning look, the unspoken apology for dragging him into war. Both of them recognized that this might very well be the last time they ever saw each other alive. The fear of losing Mulan was too much to bear; it was overwhelming. 

The sound of drums boomed through the valley, startling Sheng. He dropped his gaze from Mulan's. Pushing away the fear, Sheng turned back to the valley and the enemy beyond. It was time to focus. 

The battle was here. 

As the drumming grew louder and faster, the front line of the Imperial soldiers kneeled. Behind them, the archers stepped forward, readying their bows. Cricket stood in the middle of them, his eyes clear, his shoulders steady. Sheng couldn't help being impressed. The boy had become a warrior. 

Commander Tung raised his hand. The army seemed to take a collective breath. And then, the commander gave the signal. As the Imperial flag waved down, the archers let their arrows fly. They arched high over the valley, now a battlefield, towards the Rouran army below. 

If Commander Tung thought this first wave of attack would intimidate Bori Khan, he was quickly proven wrong. The Rouran warrior didn't even wait for the arrows to land before he gave his own signal. In an instant, the sound of the drums was muted by the pounding hooves of hundreds of horses as Bori Khan led his army racing across the valley. 

Waiting anxiously for Commander Tung's signal, Sheng watched as Bori Khan shouted to a few of his men and then, with a dozen or so of the warriors, peeled off from the main body of the Rouran army. The momentum carried the rest of the army forward. Acting quickly, Commander Tung shouted orders to cavalry, including Sheng and Mulan, sending them after the Rouran leader. While the rest of the infantry and archers took their chances with the oncoming horde, the cavalry exploded after Bori Khan. 

His horse's mane whipped behind him as Sheng rode his horse across the valley. Ahead, he could see Bori Khan, and the warriors he now recognized as the fabled Shadow warriors noticed they were being followed. With a shout, one of them spun around so that he was riding his horse backward. As the horse galloped on, unbothered, the Shadow Warrior notched two arrows, letting them fly with quick succession.

An Imperial soldier nearby yelped as he was hit and knocked from his horse. Sheng didn't have time to register fear, as a moment later, an arrow zipped past Mulan, barely missing her. He heard a thud as another rider fell. Still, they raced on. 

As the ground changed beneath them, growing rockier, Sheng notched his own arrows. He barely took notice of the steamy mountainous environment they had entered. He only had eyes for the Rouran warriors. More enemy soldiers were spinning on their horses, firing arrows faster and faster. The Imperial soldiers began to fall with more and more frequency. Some were felled by other arrows, others when their horses tripped on the rock terrain. Steam caused by the warm air spewing from the volcanic vents rose, clouding Sheng's vision, but still he rode on as one by one the other Imperial soldiers, deciding the Rouran leader was far too gone, turned and retreated on the battlefield. 

Mulan and Sheng were the only ones left. 

His horses pace slowed. Sheng looked over his shoulder at the other soldiers who were now racing away. The thought of following them in retreat was strong. But stronger still was the sound of Commander Tung's voice in his mind as he called out the Pillars of Virtue. It was his duty as a member of the Imperial Army to be loyal and brave. He might not be able to live up to the virtue of truth, but that didn't mean he couldn't fight for the other pillars. Dragging his gaze from the sight of the fleeing Imperial Army, he spotted Bori Khan disappearing into the steam ahead. 

Sharing a glance with Mulan and screwing up his courage, he urged his horse on and followed Mulan as they rode on.