𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕

Sergeant Qiang ordered the soldiers to the parade ground. Despite their exhaustion, the men jumped to attention and made their way over as fast as their tired legs could carry them. Sheng and Mulan arrived last, having had to climb down from the shrine. 

When all the conscripts were gathered, Commander Tung took his place in the front of them. "Our training is not finished," he said. "But we live during a time of war. Therefore, we shift with changing winds." He paused to make sure he had everyone's attention. Satisfied the men were listening, he went on. "We leave to defend the Mountain Steppe Garrison."

The response was swift. Surprise, fear, and excitement spread through the men. Whispers and murmurs rose over them like a wave. This is what they had been waiting for--and dreading. 

From his spot at the back of the crowd, Sheng's cheeks grew pale. The energy and strength he had just been feeling faded. It was one thing to accomplish, a training task. It was an entirely different thing to face actual battle. 

Commander Tung lifted a hand. The men grew silent once more. "You will now take the Oath of the Warrior, pledging fidelity to the Three Pillars of Virtue." 

The commander pulled out his sword, Sheng's eyes widened as he realized it was identical to his father's. Sensing his eyes on him, Commander Tung looked over and nodded every so subtly in Sheng and Mulan's direction. "Without each one of these pillars, your vital chi is diminished."

One by one, the student warriors unsheathed their swords and held their swords high in the air. As Sheng lifted his own, his gaze lingered on the inscriptions on Mulan's sword. His eyes read the words as, in front of them, Tung said them aloud. "Brave!" he shouted. 

The soldiers, including Mulan and Sheng echoed their word back to him. 

"Loyal!" Again, after the  commander's shout, the soldiers shouted back. 

A sense of dread began to build in Sheng's stomach as he saw the the word that would be shouted next. 

"True!" Commander Tung finished. 

Around them, all the other soldiers yelled out the word, their voice full of emotion and pride. But Sheng stayed quiet, his sword lingering in the air. How could he swear to be true when he keeping a lie?