𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

𝗦𝗵𝗲𝗻𝗴 and Mulan soon arrived at encampment, walking towards the entrance. Sheng watched with a grin on his face as Mulan gazed around the camp in amazement yet worry. They came to a sudden halt, taking their place in line. Sheng tapped his foot impatiently, looking around at his surroundings. 

Ahead of them were two young men about their age. One of them was chubby, his cheeks red. He looked uncomfortable and a bit awkward. Besides him was a taller conscript, lean and tall. Soon, a young man cut in front of them, ignoring Mulan's grunt of protest. A long weed hung from his mouth, taking it out, he tickled the boy's ear. 

"I'm Cricket"

"Longwei" the lean conscript replied.

The boy nodded. "My mother said I was born-" 

He paused, lifting his hand to swat away the weed that was tickling his ear.

The young man bit back a laugh. Another conscript joined him, beckoning him to do it again.

Sheng watched Mulan, seeing her eyes narrowed at the men. He sighed, she was unaware to the world of men, sadly, this is just what men do to each other.

Cricket continued talking. His voice carefree and happy. "She said I was born under an auspicious-" 

He paused again. The tickling had become more aggressive and he swatted harder this time. Instead of slapping the bug, he slapped Longwei.

"Ow" Longwei shouted, placing a hand on his cheek.

The bullies howled with laughter. They pushed Cricket and Longwei out of the way, they took their place in line. The younger conscripts stumbled against each other, desperately trying to keep their balance. 

Sheng watched as Mulan was sent tumbling to the ground. He took a step forward but stopped in his tracks, seeing as a man had his hand offered out to Mulan. The young man was tall, lean and very handsome, his eyes twinkling and kind. He saw Mulan holding back a blush, causing him to cough awkwardly, covering his howl of laughter.

Sheng watched on in confusion as she quickly slapped his hand away, unsheathing her sword in one quick motion. She placed the sword at the tip of his throat.

"Insult me again," she said, her voice deep and gruff, "and you'll taste the tip of my blade."

All humor had left the man's face and with one quick motion, he had his sword to her throat as well. 

Sheng watched with wide eyes, debating whether to intervene. Mulan was already drawing attention to herself, something they both didn't need.

"Lower your sword," the young man said, his face serious.

"Or what?" Mulan pushed.

Sheng watched the bullies, their eyes staring at Mulan and the young man.

"Honghui" they whispered. 

Sheng watched as a man approached Mulan and Honghui. His face serious and determined, he held his shoulders high and his chest out. He was definitely a soldier, an experienced one, his face lined with experience and age. 

Before Sheng could blink, Mulan's arm was twisted behind her back. Her sword soon removed from her hand and her hand dropped to the side. Next to her, Honghui rubbed his arm, his eyes trained on his own weapon. 

"I am your commanding officer-Commander Tung!" the man shouted. "Fighting will not be tolerated. Am I clear?" He stated, his tone icy and firm.

"Yes Commander," Honghui replied immediately.

Commander Tung turned to Mulan and repeated the question.

"Yes Commander" she said.

Commander Tung handed back Honghui his sword. He looked at Mulan's sword, recognition flashing over his face. He looked at Mulan with hidden interest.

"What's your name, soldier?" he asked.

"Hua Jun, Commander" she said, the lie easily rolling off her tongue. 

"Is this your family's sword" he questioned.

She nodded. "It belongs to our father, Hua Zhou" she said.

His eyes flickered over to Sheng's face, recognition flashing over his face once again.

"What is your name, soldier" he questioned.

Sheng cleared his throat. "Hua Sheng, Commander. Brother of Hua Jun" he said, pointing towards Mulan.

He looked Sheng up and down, causing Sheng to fidget with his hands worriedly. "Get yourself some armor, training clothes and a sword."

"Yes Commander" Sheng replied, letting out a sigh of relief. 

Sheng and Mulan watched him go, both of them sucking in a breath of air and letting out a sigh of relief. They both walked towards the clothing tent, lost in thought. They would get the right clothes and then would think about the mess that had happened. They had been so caught up in worry about surviving the war that they hadn't even thought about surviving boot camp. 

Sheng sighed and looked towards Mulan, sending her a small grin. They had already made an enemy. He walked over to her, grinning widely, his grin growing as he saw the confusion on her face.

"First Fight!" he cheered quietly.

She rolled her eyes in annoyance but an amused smile graced her face. He smiled, picking up his pace towards the clothing tent.