𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖

"What is the meaning of this?"

Sergeant Qiang's voice boomed out over the camp as Sheng and Mulan raced into the middle of the gathered soldiers. Ignoring the sergeant's question and curious looks of the men, Sheng leapt off Black Wind and ran over to Commander Tung. Seeing his stern expression, Sheng slowed his steps, along with Mulan. When Sheng reached him, he bowed low. Then, looking up, he forced himself to meet his eyes. "Commander Tung," he began. "We must ride to the Emperor! His life is in danger!"

Doubtful murmurs broke out across the camp. The soldiers didn't believe him. Neither, it seemed, did Commander Tung. "Bori Khan's army has just been decimated. The Emperor's life has never been safer."

Mulan shook her head. "That's what Bori Khan wants you to believe. Please . . ." Mulan stopped and looked around for support. Seeing nothing but cold stares, she went on. "You have to listen to us . . ."

This time, it was Commander Tung who shook his head. "Only a foolish man listens to someone who's very existence is a lie."

Sheng winced slightly. A part of him wanted to turn and slink away. But if they left now, everyone would be in danger. The kingdom's future was more important then their pride. Taking a deep breath, Mulan pressed on. "At the battle, Bori Khan rode off with a small fighting force. At first, I thought he was a coward in retreat, but now I realize he was heading east towards the Imperial City." Mulan paused to catch her breath before plunging ahead. "This was his plan all along. While the army is focused on his attacks to the Silk Road, Bori Khan sneaks into the capital to kill the Emperor!"

Mulan stopped. Her words hung in the air, Sheng shifted nervously. Sheng saw the soldiers shift on their feet as they processed Mulan's news. A few nodded their heads, realizing that what Mulan and Sheng suggested made strategical sense. If the Emperor thought he was safe, he would be an easy target. Sheng and Mulan turned back to Commander Tung. They could see the struggle on his face as he balanced his feelings of betrayal and his experience as a commander. Sheng knew the commander saw truth in their words. They just had to get him to look beyond their own lie. 

"There is not an army in the world powerful enough to topple the Imperial City," Sheng went on, his words respectful but direct. "But perhaps a small, well-trained force could." Sheng paused. 

"When employed correctly, four ounces can move a thousand pounds" Sheng and Mulan said in unison, looking at each other awkwardly. 

Commander Tung paused. He looked at them and Sheng and Mulan could see him softening ever so slightly. They had not just been soldiers. They had proved themselves time and time again. They had been perspective students, willing conscripts, and brave warriors. He had to see that. He had to see past their single mistake--no matter how big it was. 

"You would believe Hua Jun!" a voice called out, shattering the silence. "Why do you not believe Hua Mulan?"

Mulan and Sheng's heads whipped around. Their eyes scanned the crowd of soldiers watching them and Commander Tung. To their surprise, they saw that the voice of support belonged to Honghui. Looking right at Mulan, he nodded, and Sheng could've sworn he saw a glimmer in the man's eyes. Although it was the smallest of gestures, it was huge for Sheng and Mulan. Sheng sent Honghui a grateful nod, a small smile dancing on his lips. 

"Mulan risked everything by revealing her true identity," Honghui went on, his voice growing stronger. "Sheng, knowing the consequences, supported Mulan." Honghui stared at Mulan, sending her a small nod. "She's braver than any man here." He stopped and turned to the other soldiers, daring them to defy him. Daring them to disagree.

Watching him, Sheng pushed down the lump forming in his throat. Despite their betrayal, Honghui was standing up for them. It was more than they could have hoped for, and the wave of gratitude that washed over them was immense. But it only grew as the other soldiers, following Honghui's lead, began one by one coming to their defense. "I believe Hua Sheng and Hua Mulan!" one said. "Yes!" another added. Sheng and Mulan's hearts soared as Cricket, Po, and even Yao added their own voices to the growing chorus of support. They were standing by Mulan; even without her disguise, they believed in her. It was more than Sheng could have ever hoped for. 

But did Commander Tung?

Sheng and Mulan turned back to their leader. His face was unmoving, his expression impossible to read. For a long moment they stood face to face, neither speaking, neither blinking as around them the soldiers' cries dimmed. 

"Bring me my sword," Commander Tung said. As Sergeant Qiang moved to do so, the gathered soldiers exchanged nervous glances. What was the commander going to do? In front of him, Sheng and Mulan braced themselves, prepared for the worst. "Hua Mulan," Commander Tung began, addressing her by her real name for the first time. "Your actions have brought disgrace and dishonor to this regiment, to this kingdom, and to your own family." Commander Tung paused, glancing at Sheng. When he spoke again, his voice was full of respect. "But your loyalty and bravery are without question. You will lead us as we ride to the Imperial City." Turning, he addressed the other soldiers. "Ready the horses!"

As the men jumped into action, filling the valley with the sounds of swords, Sheng and Mulan stood among their fellow soldiers. Sheng and Mulan had felt pride when they made it to the top of the shrine. And they had felt powerful  when they had tricked the invading army and sent the avalanche careening down the mountainside. But none of that compared to what they felt now. They were going to save the Emperor. And not just as soldiers, but leaders, and most importantly--Mulan would be herself.