𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

Over the next few days, the conscripts training intensified. It was a subtle shift at first. A few more minutes tacked onto the end of each session. A bit more bark-and-bite from Sergeant Qiang as he shouted orders. Tensions rose as it became clear that they were no longer practicing to become soldiers, they were becoming ones. They were no longer practicing for an actual battle but for an actual one. 

"The Rouran enemy is vast," Sergeant Qiang warned as Sheng, Mulan and the others went through a series of martial arts movements. "They're ruthless and unpredictable. Yet physical force may not be met equal force. The warrior yields to force-- and redirects it." He stopped in front of Mulan. Mulan kept her gaze ahead, not allowing the man to intimidate her. 

Ever since Sheng and Mulan's conversation, Sheng had been able to think of nothing but his chi. It consumed him. Fueled him. Drove him. Every moment he could spare, he spent trying to focus it. Mulan's words had been like a spark. He'd realized, in the moments after they talked, he owed it to Mulan and his father to be the best warrior he could be. If he didn't try for that, then everything Mulan and him had done would be in vain. So, night after night, day after day. He practiced. And night after night, day after day, he grew stronger. 

Under the moonlight besides the lake with Mulan, he moved his body through the maneuvers that felt natural. In his head, he heard Sergeant Qiang's words. Disadvantage can be turned into an advantage, he would tell the soldiers as they pressed their swords forward, swished their spears through the air, lifted their shields in defense. 

Sheng and Mulan's constant practice and intense focus did not go unnoticed. He felt Sergeant Qiang and Commander Tung's eyes on them more than others. But it no longer made him shrink in inward. He felt fueled with courage and a strength he hadn't known he had. 

But there was still one challenge that stymied him. 

"Four ounces can move a thousand pounds," the Sergeant said as Sheng, Mulan and the others approached the steep steps that led to the shrine. They all paused, their eyes lifting in unison to the challenge in front of them. On either side of Sheng was a bucket filled to the brim with water. Above him, the other soldiers grabbed their own buckets and started up the steps. Mulan and Sheng waited, sparing a glance at one another. "Four ounces can move a thousand pounds" they whispered.

Closing his eyes, he focused. He felt the familiar surge of energy wash through him as he connected to his powerful chi. The grunts and groans from the other man vanished. He felt only the gentle breeze on his cheeks. His eyes started to close, he envisioned the peak of the shrine. He remembered the peace he had felt with Mulan under the magnolia tree. Channeling that, he opened his eyes. 

Bending down, he grasped the handles of the buckets and lifted them. They felt lighter then they had the first few times he had faced this challenge, thanks to his strength training. But he knew the challenge was not in the first few steps, but in the endurance one must have to make it all the way to the top. Step by step, he climbed.

Ahead of him, the conscripts steps slowed, except Mulan. Her buckets were raised above her shoulders and she showed no signs of slowing down. She had a distant look on her face, mirroring Sheng's. He knew that she was connecting to her chi like he was. He knew their chi was strong.

One by one, the conscripts began to fall. First Cricket, his face wet with tears, sank to the steps. Then Po, who threw his buckets aside and simply laid down, defeated. Yao was the next to fail. Filled with rage, he threw his buckets, the wood shattering against the rocky cliffs. 

Still, Sheng and Mulan continued. Their steps were steady, their shoulders still. On either side of them the water in the buckets did not flow over the sides, but instead remained calm. They grew stronger with each step. The focus of their face never faltered, even as they moved past their fallen comrades. 

Soon the only other conscript left was Honghui. A few steps ahead of them, his forehead was beaded with sweat and his buckets were sinking closer and closer to the ground. His steps were heavy and his breathing ragged. Like Sheng and Mulan, his face was focused, but doubt was beginning to seep through his expression.

Sheng and Mulan didn't notice his expression. They kept moving. Step by step, higher and higher, gathering strength until they caught up to Honghui--and then passed him. Sheng felt his gaze on their backs as they continued. He ignored it. He was somewhere else. His body was on the stairs, his arms holding the buckets above his shoulders, but his mind was in a deeper place. He was fueled by the thoughts of Mulan and his father, his mother, his sister Xiu. 

Behind them, Honghui's body gave out. He sunk to the steps. Now it was only Sheng and Mulan left. A wave of pride washed over Sheng and he resisted the urge to smile. As Honghui, Commander Tung, Sergeant Qiang, and all the others watched in astonishment, Sheng and Mulan kept climbing. Step by step, higher and higher, until . . . 

They reached the top. 

For a long moment, Sheng stood, his chest rising and falling evenly, gripping Mulan's hand tightly. He turned around, his eyes growing wide as he took in the breathtaking view from the top of the shrine. Sheng smiled, letting out a cry of triumph, pulling Mulan closely to his chest. 

Pride flooded through him. They had done it. They had done what no man had been able to do. She, He, Mulan, Sheng, a boy and girl from a small village, had made the impossible possible. He turned back to look at the other soldiers below. Only then, as he saw the looks of wonder, awe and amazement on their faces, did he allow himself to share a smile with Mulan. He hugged her closely to his chest, letting out a sigh of relief. She wore a happy smile on her face, pride gleaming in her eyes. He stared down at her with pride and adoration. 

"We did it, Mulan" he murmured. "We did the impossible, little sister." 

She leaned her head on his shoulder. They stared out into the sky, content with each other's presence. 

They had done it . . . 

AN: This chapter was over 1000 words! I'm so happy that we got a heartfelt moment between Sheng and Mulan. Now, the story can really progress and we can really get into the plot since their first battle is coming up!