𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

𝗦𝗵𝗲𝗻𝗴 was tired. Tired and Hungry. His body ached from the long hours that he had been seated upon his stolen horse. He gazed at Mulan, seeing her adorning their father's armor. She looked like a man. It was a weird sight for Sheng to say the least. His sister would now become his brother. Words that he thought he would never say in his life but here he was, sitting with his sister, who now was his brother, riding towards a military camp where they would be trained to become soldiers. 

He nudged his horse forward, seeing Mulan riding ahead of him. She dismounted Black Wind, sending Sheng a small smile. He returned it with a smile of his own. 

"We should rest" she said softly.

He nodded, dismounting his own horse and laying down his makeshift bed. He laid on the ground, gazing up at the stars. He sighed, remembering how he gazed up at the same stars, wishing for some sort of adventure but now that the adventure had come, he wished nothing more to return home to his family and cuddle up in his own bed. He missed home.

He shifted his gaze to Mulan, who now was snoring softly, her mouth hanging slightly open and her eyes closed. He smiled, getting up out of his bed and walking over to her, kneeling down on the hard ground and placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Sleep well Mulan" he whispered. 

He walked back to his bed, gazing at Mulan one last time before flipping on his side, turning his gaze away from her.

"What have I gotten myself into" he murmured to himself.

He let his heavy eyelids fall shut, letting darkness consume him.

Sheng sat by their fire, warming his hands along with Mulan. He watched as the fire crackled, the bright orange flames dancing around. 

Mulan groaned, Sheng watching as she pulled off their father's boots, wincing as he saw her feet. They were covered with blisters, some new and some old. She reached into her bag, pulling out only one apple.

"Our last apple" she said, splitting the apple into two pieces and handing one to Sheng who proceeded to feed his horse.

"Maybe if we beg for forgiveness, our family will take us back . . ." he joked, smiling slightly as he saw an amused smile grace Mulan's face. 

Sheng groaned as the sun beat down on his face, he gazed up at the sky, his mouth opening in amazement.

"The Phoenix" Mulan exclaimed, smiling as widely as him.

"Our protector" he whispered, smiling widely.