𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑

After much traveling, Sheng and Mulan finally rode into the village, their hearts pounding. They had spent the entire ride from the palace thinking of what they would say when they were reunited with their family, but now that the moment was almost upon them, fear filled them. What if they didn't want them back? What if they were already disgraced? What if they told Sheng and Mulan to leave and never return?

As Kage's pace slowed, Sheng saw villagers begin to enter the courtyard, curious to see who arrived. Spotting Mulan and Sheng, their faces filled with interest. The Matchmaker stepped out onto her front steps, her angry face still growing angrier when she saw Sheng and Mulan.

Stopping in the courtyard, Sheng and Mulan saw the door to their home open. A moment later, their sister rushed out. Upon seeing Xiu, all their fear vanished. Jumping down, Sheng and Mulan ran over to their sister and threw their arms around her. They were home.

Sheng and Mulan pulled back. Looking at Xiu, Mulan smiled warmly while Sheng sported a crooked grin. The younger girl looked . . . different. But then their sister spoke, and her warm, happy voice was the same. "There is so much I have to ask you!" she said, grabbing Sheng and Mulan's hands and squeezing them tightly.

Mulan laughed. "Tell me about you first," she said.

"I am matched," Xiu said, letting out her own laugh when she saw Mulan's surprised expression and Sheng's protective one. "You will like him."

"I am happy for--" Mulan didn't get a chance to finish as their mother plowed between her children, throwing her arms around Sheng and Mulan, embracing them. The older's womans arms shook and Sheng and Mulan let the woman cling to them. No words needed to be spoken. Sheng and Mulan knew they had been forgiven.

But then, over their mother's shoulder, they saw their father. Zhou stood silently, leaning upon his cane. His expression was blank, his eyes impossible to read. Pulling free from their mother, Sheng and Mulan approached him. Once again, their hearts began to pound nervously. They had practiced their speech to him thousands of times, yet they struggled to find the words.

"Forgive me, Father. I stole your horse. I stole your armour . . . I stole your sword." Mulan choked on the word. Stopping, Mulan gathered up the courage she had found on the battlefield and went on. "And I lost the sword--it's gone."

"We now understand how much that sword meant to you." Sheng whispered, bowing his head in shame.

Silence fell upon them as Sheng and Mulan stared at their father, desperate to hear his answer. And when he spoke, his voice shook with emotion. "It is my daughter and son that means everything to me." As tears dropped down Zhou's cheeks, he went on. "And it was my foolish pride that drove you both away."

Sheng began to shake his head but stopped as Zhou held up his hand. He looked at them, taking in the warrior clothing that Mulan was wearing and the armour that decorated Sheng's body. He looked at the way they carried themselves, even when filled with emotion. He touched Mulan's hair, dropping it to her shoulder lightly and Zhou brought his hand up to Sheng's cheek, brushing his hand along Sheng's black eye. He nodded slowly, as realization of who they were, who they had become, dawned. "One warrior knows another," he said, his voice filled with pride. "You two were always there, yet I see you both for the first time." Reaching out, he pulled them into a tight hug. Sheng and Mulan sank into his embrace, finally feeling at peace.

As they stood there, their mother let out a happy cry and ran to thank the ancestors. Looking towards the shrine, Sheng and Mulan smiled as they saw the phoenix statue, its head leaning, the wing crooked.

The moment was broken by a loud, nasally, and altogether unpleasant voice. Turning, Sheng and Mulan saw the Matchmaker making her way over. Sheng groaned quietly. "What does this woman want now?"