𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

𝗦𝗵𝗲𝗻𝗴 sat at the dinner table, replaying the events that happened a few hours ago. They couldn't ignore the events that happened a few hours ago. The family was now seated at the dinner table, sitting in an awkward silence and tension hanging in the air.

Sheng picked at his rice aimlessly with his chopsticks, occasionally glancing at Mulan, who was doing the same. His mother hadn't even grabbed a plate, fixing her gaze on Zhou. His father ate and carried on as if the events hadn't happened.

"You're a war hero," Li said, breaking the silence. You've already made great sacrifices-"

His father cut her off. "Are you suggesting our family not comply with the Imperial edict?"

"But how can you fight when you barely-"

Their father slammed their fist onto the table, causing Sheng to snap his gaze towards their father. Sheng looked on shocked at his outburst. He had always been a calm and humble man who prided himself on restraint. This outburst was unlike him- and it was frightening.

"I am the father," he said, his voice booming through the small room. "It is my place to bring honor to our family on the battlefield. You are the daughter." He paused, his eyes boring into Mulan. "Learn your place!" Hua Zhou pushed himself to his feet, walking out the door and slamming it hard behind him.

Sheng lowered his gaze, a pit forming in his stomach. He looked at Mulan and grabbed her hand, squeezing it gently. She sent him a small nod but it did not convince Sheng. He was always her greatest supporter, always encouraging her to be who she was. She always believed that her father knew she could be more, wanted more. But she had been wrong.

Li walked over and grabbed Mulan and Sheng's hands. "We must be strong," she paused, her eyes welling and hands shaking. "This time he will not return," she said her voice cracking and a teardrop falling from her eye.

Soon night had come and Sheng was restless, staring up at the ceiling. He heard the small squeak of a cabinet coming from downstairs, he quickly jumped out of his bed, tiptoeing around the dining room and down the stairs.

Sheng peeked around the corner and his mouth slightly hung open at the sight. Mulan was standing there but in her hands was their father's sword, which he had forbidden them to touch. He watched as she tucked the armor under her arms and carried the sword with her other hand. He silently followed her, watching her gaze at their family sleeping. His eyes widened as he realized what she was going to do. She was going to take their father's place.

He followed her outside, watching her put on the armor and hang the sword off of her side. He slowly walked toward her, he grabbed her arm and spun her around. Watching her eyes widened as she had been caught.

"Mulan, what do you think you're doing?"

"Taking his place" she whispered.

"I'll let you go but only if I can come with you."

Her eyes widened and she shook her head, staring up at him.

"You're going to die!" she shouted but quickly clasped a hand over her mouth.

"You have a chance of dying too, it's best if I go with you or else you're not going at all," he threatened.

She sighed and nodded, he gave her a nod and walked over to his neighbor's horse. He sighed and looked up at the horse.

"Hey buddy" he whispered.

He sighed once more and jumped up on the horse's back, stroking it's mane, successfully calming down. He looked at Mulan and nodded. He clicked his tongue, urging the horse forward. He took one last glance at the house, a wave of love washing over him. He knew that this might be the last time he would see his family, he wished to say goodbye but knew that was not possible. He tore his gaze from the house, riding away with Mulan off into the night. 

Sorry this was a short chapter, I will update the Stranger Things story soon. 

-Ashton