Chapter - Thirteen

RECAP

“Are you cold?” Mason asks suddenly.

“Um...a little,” I answer looking to see what he is doing. He is lighting the fireplace, it’s weird I think to myself; he looks so at home and not out of place at all. He brings the kit-Kat mug and places it in front of me; I gasp a little when I see it. That cup was my dads, I remember that Easter when I brought him the mug and the kit-Kat egg, the smile on his face brings a little tear to my eyes as I remember. When my dad died I didn’t just lose him, I lost my whole family.

“What?” Mason says worriedly.

“This used to belong to my dad,” I say in a whisper.

“Oh Ell...I didn’t know...sorry.” Mason sighs again and comes around and takes a seat next to me. His arm lightly brushes mine and I feel a tingle run through me.

“I know.”

The next thing I know is that Mason is weaving his fingers through mine and is holding my hand which looks quite small compared to his. I feel my heartbeat pick up and a faint blush creep up, I look down at our clasp and notice the leather bracelets with silver beads on them on his left wrist. They look nice I think.

Then his thumb starts gently starts to stroke my hand.

“You have such soft hands,” Mason says quietly, I turn my gaze to him and find he is staring right at me.

“Mason...,” my voice comes out weird, it sounds almost hoarse.

“Ella...” Mason says, he sounds so serious that I want to laugh.

“Hmm?”

“You’re so beautiful.”

*******************************************************************

CHAPTER 13

THIS HAS NOT BEEN EDITED

******************************************************************

Suddenly the door flings open, my mother’s eyes flare when she notices Mason’s fingers intertwined with mine, her face turns red and her eyes shoot daggers at me, she opens her mouth to scream.

Well that’s what would usually happen, but not with me I guess. Minutes pass by, I stay silent. What am I supposed to say? My hand feels comfortable underneath Mason’s and it fits well but it doesn’t just feel right. I feel no sparks, no electricity. As if he suddenly realises this, his jerks his hand away. I blink twice at him because of his sudden gesture. He frowns at me and shakes his head, his face has gone a little pink, I look down for a second and when my gaze returns to his face, his eyes have turned back to having a tiny smirk in them and his face doesn’t seem so pink anymore.

Just as I’m about to stand up from the silver stool, it goes pitch black. I feel myself wobble and I can feel a firm grip on my arm helping me to regain balance.

“Ella?” Mason says a little uncertainly.

“What?” I ask a little irritated.

“What the hell just happened?” he asks, I can feel him sit back down on the stool.

“Well what does it look like? It’s a stupid blackout isn’t it? the power’s gone.”

“Well don’t you like have any torches or anything?” he asks me slowly.

“Obviously, but they’re not here, they’re upstairs with all the other junk in the junk room.”

“Junk room...,” Mason echoes and trails off.