Chapter - Seventeen

RECAP

“Thanks Kian...for,” I stop. For what? For listening to me and letting me sob on your chest? For carrying me to your home four miles on the other side of the town? For following me to the park?

“...for the lift.” I finally let out stupidly.

“See you Ella,” he says quietly his eyes not quite meeting mine.

“Bye,” I wave at him then to Alex who is busy looking at a monkey picture book. “Bye Alex.”

He looks up and smiles “Bye bye Ella!” he shouts happily waving his eyes shining.

Mason answers the door when I Knock.

“Hi,” he says with a smile. He leads me to the kitchen where Kate and Elijah are sitting. On the table there are many magazines scattered; all pages showing dresses and wedding stuff.

I gulp and walk over to them, I pull out  a chair opposite Elijah and sit down.

“Hey.”I say smiling at him.

He grins widely at me “Hello!”

“So,” Kate starts “I thought it would be a good time to discuss some plans, today is a good day seeing as your mother is free and all...,” I drown her speech out. My mother is here...what? I look around and sure enough there she is walking in through the door, a bright smile plastered on her face. Kate is fooled and is beaming at her; she gets up to greet her happily.

Elijah on the other hand is studying my features very carefully and then he meets me eyes with a worried look, then he looks over to her a frown forming on his face. 

I don’t meet my mother’s eyes when she comes and takes a seat unfortunately beside me.

This is going to be a long afternoon.

****************************************************************************************************

Chapter Seventeen.

Sitting here in the kitchen with Elijah just feels awkward, I realise that I don’t really know anything about him. I awkwardly drum my fingers on the table and try to avoid Elijah’s gaze; I don’t want him to question me.

Luckily for me though Kate walks back in with my mum and they both take a seat at the table, I lift up head up to look at my mother, her eyes look slightly glassy and from her beaming smile and bright and cheerful attitude I can tell that she is probably hung over.

A loud thump makes me quickly switch my attention to my right side. Kate has thrown a pile of magazines on the table; wedding magazines by the looks of the white gowns and huge bouquets.

Elijah points to the cover of one; the model to me looks horrendous the dress is awful with its puffy sleeves and puffed put skirt with ruffles.

“You’d look good in that hey Ella?” he says his eyes twitching.

I let out a shaky laugh “I don’t think so.” I have no idea if he’s being serious or not so I keep my face straight.

“Relax, I’m kidding we’ll find you a beautiful dress, with no puffy ball.” He grins slightly at me.

“Y...Yeah...,” I say uncertainly.

Kate suddenly claps her hands together and looks from the little silver book she has been addressing for the past few minutes.

“So I was thinking a June wedding maybe?” she tails off looking between me and Elijah, he just smiles lightly at her.

I don’t know what to say, to say its too early is an understatement. He gaze is lingering on me. All I can remember is my grandfather’s face when he was dying and he told me that he he’d always be watching over me, doing him proud.