Chapter - Twenty-Eight

NOT BEEN EDITED!!

Recap

A few hours later after an afternoon of relaxing, I decide I should head back, just as I stand my phone beeps. It’s mum telling me to come to the hospital again, I groan loudly.

“What?” Kian asks frowning over at me.

“Hospital again.” I mutter crossly.

“Is Elijah there as well?” Kaylan asks from beside Kian.

“He will be,” I say yawning.

They both exchange worried glances.

“What about Ella?” Kian questions standing up also.

I sigh “She’s madly in love with him;” I shake my head “She’s not been spending much time with Elijah over the past couple of days. She’s seen me a few times, asked about him, he didn’t tell her Lilly was in hospital, he said it was a friend.”

“Are they still getting married?” Kaylan enquires.

“Yeah, I mean he’s just upset because Lilly is his best friend and well we have to face it, she’s slipping away. He still likes Ella and everything.” I reassure them both and head for the door, “I’ll see you both later.”

“Bye,” they chorus at the door bangs shut.

chapter 28

“Ella?” my mum pokes her head around the corner, when she scans the rooms and settles her eyes on me huddled in a lump she sighs. I am just about to poke my head from under the cover when I can feel her sit next to me.

I stay silent.

“I brought you some dinner,” she says, I can hear her move my books from the bedside and place the food down.

I stay silent and in a couple of minutes she leaves with a soft sigh.

9:00am

When I get up this morning I know that its time I get some answers, after I’ve showered and changed, I open the door to the transformed junk room. Without looking at the photo I reach down and grab it, I know definitely that the baby cannot be me, it is impossible. I wasn’t born in July so there is no way on this earth it could be me.

I take a deep breath and walk into the kitchen and take a seat at the table. I know that my mum will be home all day today so even if I fail at breakfast time to confront her there will still be time. But when she sits in front of me and hands me my plate of pancakes, I can’t help it. I place the picture in front of her and her.

“Who is it?” I ask.

“It’s not you.” She begins with straightaway. Before she can say anything more I cut her off.

“I know, the date the picture says July, I wasn’t born in July, just tell me the whole story,”

She sighs but she nods.

“Well, okay, so yes this baby isn’t you, it was Beverley she was our third child, when we brought her home from the hospital she died; cot death,” her eyes start to water but she wipes the few tears that leak away and continues “One day when your father was at work a few months later, he took care of a family that was involved in a horrible accident. The baby was the only one to survive. That baby was you...all your other family lived in Australia and they weren’t really considered fit to look after a baby so we decided to take you in.”

“You tried to use me as a replacement?”

“Ella, it wasn’t like that honestly,” she pleads, she stands up and comes over to me, but I scrape my chair back.