waiting for trouble pt.2

I never knew I could hold this much awkward tension. It feels like hours that we're sat at the table eating and listening to our parents chat. I'm pretty sure it's obvious. After all, I can barely look at Ian without blushing, and Barley keeps making funny faces when no one else is looking to make me laugh.

Just as he makes a particularly goofy expression, his mom turns the focus of the conversation to me, "So, how is it being back in New Mushroomton after all these years, Y/N?"

"It's strange, but nice. I don't remember a lot before we moved, but being back here, it just feels like coming home after a long adventure."

"Or a quest." Barley adds, which makes me smile and nod.

"Quests and adventures are what make life interesting. Plus, they're always where you least expect them." I say and fiddle with my necklace as the conversation resumes and takes another direction.

I catch Ian watching me with a curious expression, and something about it makes me hold his gaze for a moment. There's something in his brown eyes that I can't quite place, but it brings up that same feeling of warmth and happiness that the fleeting memory of the treehouse.

"Why don't you kids go catch up?" Laurel smiles as dinner comes to a close.

"I can introduce you to Guinevere—well, Guinevere the Second that is."

"Um, okay?" I have absolutely no idea who I'm about to meet, but I follow Barley and Ian outside anyway. It's only as we leave through the front door that I notice the staff carefully propped up. I run to catch up with them. "Are—are you wizards?"

"I—I am." Ian meekly mumbles out.

I can't help but beam at him. "I've never met another one before, but that's probably because a lot of people stopped believing and pursuing magic." He offers me an incredulous look, and I only grin wider as I take my staff out and bring it to full size. "It was pretty much a splinter when I found it with my Dad in some old Faera ruins, but I just—I just knew it was meant for me. Have you ever felt like that?"

"Yeah, I have." He replies with an easy, dazed grin, and I feel my knees turning to jelly. It's weird and exciting and terrifying. But right now, I feel truly seen by someone other than my parents.

"This is so cool!" Barley shouts, unknowingly ruining whatever moment was happening. "We should definitely go on a quest sometime. It'd be like when we were kids—except you know, with real magic this time."

"That'd be awesome." I reply with a smile. "I've never really had anybody to go on quests with, so I'm welcome for the company. Plus, I'd love to get to know you guys again."

"Yes! We shall quest at the nearest opportunity." Barley shouts as he slings an arm over my shoulder. "But first, you shall meet our noble steed."

He proudly motions toward a beat up van in the garage with a beautiful unicorn painted on the side. "And no mightier steed has there ever been." I reply as I look back to Barley.

"Oh, shoot. I almost forgot to submit a paper. I'll be right back" Barley shouts as he runs back to the house.

It'd quite between Ian and I for a minute. "I meant to say this before, but thank you m—for earlier today in Lit class. You really helped me out back there."

"It's no big deal. Miss Whencliffe is pretty hard on everyone at first." He avoids looking at me as he scuffs his shoes on the concrete. "Did—did you mean what you said earlier?"

"About?"

"About when you used to live here, that you don't remember a lot."

"Yes and no." I shrug and lean back against the garage wall. "It's kind of like I'm trying to hold water in my hands. The more I try to grasp it, the faster it slips away, and when it's gone, I'm only left with the feeling of it." It's only after I say it that I realize how ridiculous it must sound. "Sorry, that probably doesn't make any sense at all."

"Actually, it does. Well, I think it does." Ian replies with a smile that my head a little dizzy. "Maybe, we could—um—hang-hang out sometime? I could show you around? I mean, even if you don't remember stuff, it could be fun to get to know you again."

"Ten years does change a lot of things." I have to bite back the giddy smile across my face. "I'd love to. After all, there must've been a reason we were so close. I think it'd be nice to have that again."

I wish I could figure out what exactly the gleam in his eyes means and why it makes my hands shake. But now more than ever I'm determined to find out. It's silly, but a part of me hopes he feels the same tug I have since I started talking to him.

All I can do is wait and hope.

Barley—as I'm learning seems to be his talent— comes out, once again interrupting the moment. "If you'll follow me, m'lady." He says as he offers his arm with his chin held high. "I shall take you to the mighty steed."

I laugh and accept Barley's arm with the same dramatic noble air. "Why thank you, kind sir." We all enter the garage, which is covered in an array of tools with paint splattered on the walls and floors. In the center is a large, beat up van with a unicorn mural painted along the side I can see. "She's beautiful." I smile, meaning every word. It's weird, but since coming to New Mushroomton, I've started noticing that certain things have—personalities is the only word that seems to fit, and Guinivere's is bright and bubbly, with a little bit of sass.

"Thank you. We helped restore her from pretty much bones." Barley tells me with a proud grin as he slings his arm over Ian's shoulder. "And Ian painted the unicorn in honor of Guinivere the First."

Ian avoids my gaze under his brother's praise. "It looks really good. Maybe you could teach me sometime? I've always loved art, but I've never been very good at it." I reply and nervously tuck my hair behind my ear.

A crooked smile tugs at the corner of his lips. "Only if you teach me some of the magic you know."

"I can manage that." I return the same giddy smile, which slightly falters when I noticed Barley looking curiously between the two of us. Luckily, my parents call for me from outside. "I guess that's my cue to go. It was really great getting to see you guys again, and we should definitely do it again soon."

"Wait!" Ian shouts before I can even take a step. "I—uh—I mean , we don't have your number."

"Oh, right." I pull my phone out and swap with Ian. "Feel free to text me whenever."

Ian nods, eyes widening in surprise when I hug him and Barley right after, who whispers "Don't worry, I got you covered with Ian."

My heart picks up tempo at his words. I guess I'm no good at hiding a crush, but then again, this is the first one I've had. "Thank you." I reply and offer both of them a smile as I meet my parents at the car. Funny thing is, I was expecting this night to be a complete disaster. Instead, I found out my crush used to be my best friend, and it wasn't even that awkward.

If you ask me, this was a win in my book.