miss americana & the heartbreak prince pt.3

I take a deep breath and constantly fiddle with the sleeves of my sweater. Winter break has been a glorious reprieve, and it only got better when the letter from Midtown came three days before the new semester.

"You know," Mom whispers just over the sound of the subway, "I'm so proud of you. It takes a lot of courage to speak up, and even more to fight for what you want."

"Yeah, well, I had some really great friends backing me up." I tell her. "I swear, Peter and Ned are pretty much the only way I passed the entrance exams."

"Did you ever get around to telling them?" She questions, and I shake my head.

Once I finished crying at my acceptance to Midtown, I decided to just surprise my two best friends. Partly because I wanted to see their reactions, and partly because I still don't know what to say to Peter after New Years—when I swear we almost kissed. We've been playing this subtle flirting and pretending we don't notice the way the other stutters and gets nervous.

"I figured it'd be more fun this way." I partially lie to my Mom. "You really didn't have to come with me, you know."

"I do, but I wanted to personally thank Principal Morita. Plus, I have a little more paperwork to finish."

"Very." I tell her in reply. "I'm gonna head in and try to find my friends, but I'll see you after school."

"Okay, babydoll." She smiles and presses a kiss to the top of my head, "Have a good day."

I nod and head inside. It takes me a minute to find my locker and spin in the combination from my orientation papers. My palms keep growing sweatier by the second. I quickly put my bag inside and head to my first class of the day.

Luckily, when my parents agreed to let me try to transfer to Midtown, Peter and Ned gave me their schedules to give me a good idea of which classes I'd want to take. It helps ease my nerves a bit to know I have all my classes with one or the other, and I start off with both of them.

I shift on my feet anxiously and watch as other students pour into the classroom, each of them offering me a weird look or glance as they pass. My stomach starts to knot, and it takes everything in me to remind myself this place is different. It won't be like EAST.

It can't be.

I'm so caught up in the riptide inside my head, I almost miss the voice that's come to make my heart pound and hands shake over this past month. Coming down the hall towards me are my two best friends.

Ned looks up first, and his eyes widen and jaw goes slack in surprise. It makes me smile and bite back a laugh. There's just something so wonderfully and pure about his reaction and the pure joy on his face.

A second later, Peter looks up as well. His face goes still, and I feel my stomach churn as I wonder if this was a mistake or maybe he didn't want to see me after the silence between us since New Years. Except, a second later, the brightest smile I've ever seen breaks across his face.

He quickly hands his books off to Ned before rushing to pull me in a tight hug. "What are you? How come you didn't tell me you were coming here?" He mumbles into my sweater.

"I only found out I passed the exams a week and a half ago. So I wanted to surprise you."

Peter pulls away and avoids my eyes. "Well, it's an amazing surprise."

There's a moment of silence between the pair of us. I shift on my feet, unsure of what to say or do. Ned looks between the two of us, and offers us both a smile as he says, "I'm gonna give you two a moment."

Once he's gone, it feels like it's just Peter and I despite the busy hallways. He scratches the back of his neck like he always does when he's nervous, "Sorry I didn't text you after New Years. I just—I didn't know what to say."