be alright {t.h.}

The world is full of broken hearts. Some shattered or dented by others. Few by their own hand. All of which share the same radiating ache. Those scars that take time and work to smooth over.

It's on the rare occasion that two broken hearts meet, that the rifts in each organ are mended by the other. At least that's what my grams always told me. Perhaps it was just her way of softening the potential hurt that was bound to happen.

My stomach swirls like the ice in my drink. I had the stupid idea that getting outside or having a drink would help me forget. All I want to do tonight is forget.

To forget about my stupid ex, my supposed 'friend,' and the nauseating truth of what they did.

Three weeks ago. And I had just now gotten the strength to leave my apartment. I thought that it would help to rejoin humanity and be around people instead of facing the my silent apartment or another sad look from Dol. His big brown puppy eyes make me feel even worse about the breakup.

I spin my phone on the counter, half tempted to call up the friend I made at that stupid party. He was so sweet. A vague friend of a friend of his that happened to be at the same party. We hit it off in a platonic way that rarely occurs, but I push it aside assuming he probably doesn't want to deal with a new friends heartbreak.

Instead, I stop and listen to the conversation of the other groups in the bar. There's the party people, the after work crowd, old friends catching up, and the ones like me—who are trying to drown their sorrows in the liquor.

"C'mon, I know you love her, but it's over, mate." A guy yells over the music to his friend. I glance up, curious to see if there's another person here who shares my plight.

Two blokes about my age sit a few stools down. One of them looks to be in the same state as I am. Bags under his eyes, hair all messy, and the tell-tale sag in his shoulders.

Yep, definitely a broken heart.

His friend faces away from me, obviously doing his best to coax his friend out of the depression. "Look, it doesn't matter, just put your phone away."

I can't hear the sad boy's reply, but I watch as he hangs his head and watches his drink like it holds all his answers. It's the same way I've been staring at mine all night long.

His friend runs a hand through his blond hair. My guess is that it wasn't good for his arguments. "I get it, it's never easy to walk away, but you have to let her go. Hasn't she done enough to you?"

A chuckle escapes my lips before I can stop it. Unfortunately, the sound is loud enough to draw their attention. "Sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop." I mumble with a forced smile. "I just know what you're going through. Wish we could let them go, but the ones that break us have a way of lingering."

"Like fish hooks. The more you tug at them to try to escape; the more it hurts." The sad boy calls out, and I raise my glass in agreement.

"Wait," The blond calls, and I squint trying to make out his features in the dim lighting, "Y/N?"

Suddenly, it all hits me in full force. "Hi, Harrison." I mumble with a forced smile to the friend I debated calling earlier tonight. "I'm guessing by your expression and tone you heard."

He presses his lips into a thin line and nods. "Yeah, I heard." The sad boy next to him watches the exchange with slight amusement. "Probably should introduce you two, but only if you promise to not drink each other into oblivion because of your shared sadness."

"I can never guarantee anything." I attempt to sass and take the first sip of my drink all night. "But if you won't introduce me; I'll do it myself."

Harrison raises his hands in surrender. "Fine, Tom, meet Y/N." The sad boy, Tom, offers me a weak smile and wave. "Y/N, this is my best mate Tom."

I slide down a seat so that I'm now right by Harrison. "So, what's your poison? Life, love, or alcohol?"

"All three." Tom chuckles and offers a cheer. I raise my glass in agreement and feel a genuine smile peeking across my lips.

Harrison's eyes bounce between the two of us, obviously picking up on something. "Be back in a second. I'll let you two chat."

Tom and I both watch him go. Harrison may not be my closest friend, but even I can sense the stunt he's pulling. "So, what was her name?" I question and take another sip of my drink. The alcohol warms my throat and stomach, and I relish the small feeling.

"Bree." He sighs her name in clear defeat. "We dated for six months. She just told me earlier tonight that she cheated—kissed another guy when they both got drunk."

My jaw slacks. Fate is a crafty woman, and I wish I could hate her for it. "You've got to be kidding." I let out a bitter chuckle. Tom offers me a puzzled look. "My now ex-boyfriend, Chris, made out with my friend at a party three weeks ago."

Tom's mouth opens and chuckles. "What are the odds?" I shrug and polish off my drink. The bartender quickly slides another into my hand, and I sip it as I return my attention to Tom, who is now watching me intently. "Some luck we have."

"Mhm." I rest my elbow on the counter. Gosh, if we weren't both heartbroken, I would be asking him out right now. "Do ever feel like you should have known it would end poorly?"

"Sometimes. I mean, Bree and I would always get into arguments about my friends and coworkers. She hated when I even went to lunch with another woman. Probably should have been a sign. You?"

"I had a feeling, but I told myself this time would be different. My friends weren't fans of Chris, and of course, I broke my rules. Every time I break a rule the relationship crashes. 'Friends first,' that's the main rule."

"Sounds like a good rule." Tom hums, and I notice a small smile at the corners of his mouth. "Tell me about yourself, Y/N. No more talk of heartbreak or exes. Let's just get to know each other."

I genuinely smile and set my drink down. "Okay. I can do that." Tom's smile widens as we start to talk about ourselves—ex's not included.

The heartache starts to lift as we smile and laugh. Tom is sweet, kind, and charming. He's amazing, and being here next to him, it makes me think that it's possible.

That maybe one day, we'll be alright.

...
A/N: Requests are open! So far I've been working off random ideas or prompts, but if you have an idea or request let me know! 💕