silence pt.3

My palms feel sweaty, and my head spins from the excess of Noise coming from the bustling crowds of New York. I struggle to keep from toppling over either from the surrounding chaos or nerves, I'm not sure. Not to mention the wave of energy that's radiating off of the Sanctum.

Luckily, Peter seems to notice and squeezes my hand in reassurance. "I'm ready. I can do this." It's a whisper, but there's an edge fo confidence behind it. "A part of me always knew that I was bound to come back at some point."

"Well, this time, you're not alone."

"No, I'm definitely not." I smile at him as we approach the door, and Peter gives me an odd look as I merely wait instead of knocking. Sometimes it's funny how often he seems to forget I spent years working through my abilities and studying the mystic arts before being taken in by Tony and later the Ancient One. Then, everything fell apart after the blip, and I never had the heart or strength to return.

The door swings open with a loud creak, and a voice echoes from inside. "Come on in, don't want to let the heat out." Strange appears in the doorway a soft smile on his features as we walk inside. "I thought you said you were never coming back."

"Really? Cause if I remember correctly, you told me not to come back." I snap. The Noise is practically screaming in my ears. It makes me grit my teeth to keep from doubling over in pain and avoid another attack.

"It's worse now." Strange whispers, sadness and bitter understanding evident in his voice. "Let's see what we can do."

I stumble into Peter at the sudden shift. It's my least favorite thing about Strange—he always loves to do that instead of just walk somewhere. My feet seem to fall out from under me, and Peter has to rush to catch me and settle me in a chair.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm right here. You're gonna be okay." He pauses and look up to Strange with eyes full of panic. "She's gonna be okay, right?"

Strange stays silent for a long moment, before walking over to us. "We'll find out soon enough. Catch her if she falls." That's all he says as he starts the first spell, and I feel the world go fuzzy around me before fading to black.

"Well, what is it?" I hear Peter's voice question as I slowly try to open my eyes. "Is she going to be okay?"

"She'll be alright, but it's going to take a little bit of time."

"Doesn't everything?" I mumble and rub my temples. "What's it going to take?"

Strange stays quiet for a long moment, and I swear he's trying to tell me something without saying it. His eyes dart to Peter for a split second before settling back on me. "You already know the answer to those questions."

"No, I don't. If I did, do you really think I'd be here?" I snap, but then it dawns on me exactly what he means. "Oh."

"Wait, I'm still confused." Peter chimes in as he rubs him thumb over my knuckles like he always does when he's anxious. "Can someone explain it to me?"

Strange waits for me to answer, but I am still reeling from it all to say anything. "Y/N has always been sensitive to mystic powers, but after the Blip, she came back with an increased sensitivity. What's happening is her abilities are taking over because of the circumstances."

"Because I'm not in control of my emotions, I'm not in control of the connections or my powers." I add and try to not squeeze Peter's hand too hard. "What he's saying is the grief is literally destroying me. It's why being around him helps quiet everything, isn't it? He calms me down and—and my feelings for him help counteract the rest of the chaos."

"Pretty much, yes." Strange nods and moves to grab a book from the table. "You'll have to dive into it headfirst and sever each connection. It's gonna take time, but you'll need to work through regaining control of your power and emotions."

I let out a sigh and lean against Peter. We both vividly remember the initial process I went through to gain a sense of control, and it was a long and painful road. Tears brim in my eyes at the mere thought of going through that again. "I'll give you two a moment before we go over the details."

"Hey, hey." Peter crouches down in front of me, the same struggle I'm feeling rejected in his eyes. "It's gonna be okay. You're strong enough to do this, and I'm gonna be there the whole time."

"No, Pete, I'm not." I cry through the tears. "I can't do that again. It was hard enough the first time and now—now I won't have Tony too. There's just—no way I can do it. I won't make it this time."

Peter's hands wrap around my wrist and pull my hands from my face, only to be quickly replaced by his own. "Yes, you will. Let me tell you why. Because while—while Mr. Stark may not be here, he would want and be encouraging you to do this. I know how much it hurts, but you are the strongest person I've ever met. Plus, there's no way you're going to have to do this alone—not even for a moment. I promise you that."

"Okay." I sigh and nuzzle my face deeper into his touch. "Maybe, maybe I can do this."

"You can. You know why?" I shake my head, and he offers me the sweetest smile I've ever seen. "Because you are Y/N L/N, which already means you can do anything, and on top of that, I love you."

"I love you too." I take a deep breath and tangle my fingers in his. "Okay, let's do this."