waiting for trouble pt.1 {i.l.}

Onward imagine — got inspired and decided to go ahead and write it! In this the reader looks like an elf (so like Ian and Barely) but the rest is up to you guys. (Also, her pet, Merlin, is a girl, in case anyone is curious. I once played a gender-bent Merlin in a play—it was pretty epic—so I thought it'd be fun to include it here.)

I slip on my worn down sneakers as Mom continues to tell me all about how nice it is to be back in New Mushroomton. We used to live here when I was just a toddler, but now that my parents got jobs as professors over at Willowdale, we're back. I'm thankful for it. It's been over a year since I felt the change—felt magic reawaken.

At first, I didn't know why things felt different. All I knew is that one day, I felt more out of place than I had in my whole life, which is saying something. It's not hard to feel like you don't belong when you're clearly an elf in a family of a vampire and a satyr. Not to mention the distant pixie cousins. I always knew I was adopted, but it never really bothered me. Not until the weirdness started happening.

I was was little when it started. People would always comment to my mom on what a beautiful child I was. Others wouldn't start to change until I spoke, and some don't seem to be affected at all—unless they heard me sing, and even the most stubborn people melted. Unfortunately, those people are few and rare between, often hosting some sort of disdain or reason to dislike me without bothering to know me.

Still, most usually swarm and shower me with praises and their various forms of affection for the figment of me they have in their head. There have even been a few times where it crossed a line and got terrifying. Each time it happens, I feel like another little piece of me fades. Mom and Dad say that it's probably something to do with whoever my parents were, and that's also where I got my magic—and the curse.

But maybe things will be better here. After all, when we came back, I felt like I had come home—even if I barely remember it ever being so. It just felt right, like Ive always belonged here.

"You sure you're good to go to school?" Mom asks as she pours her morning coffee. "I know how stressful it is for you, and I really don't want to get another call about you causing trouble."

"I'll be fine, and for the record, it's not my fault I'm cursed."

"Sweetie, you're not cursed." She retorts with a frown.

"Really? Why else do disasters follow me literally everywhere I go? Even though I have my magic entirely under control and do everything possible to avoid them?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure there's a better explanation than a curse."

"You're a scientist, Mom, you have to say that." I sigh and slip my backpack on. "But you can't deny that magic is real, which means that things like curses can be as well."

"And you've definitely been spending too much time with your Dad."

"It's your fault for marrying a historian who specializes in ancient magic—curses included." I laugh and toss my bag over my shoulder. "Well, I'm off to school."

"Have a good day, and don't forget we have dinner with the Lightfoot's tonight."

"Um, who are they again?"

"Some of our old friends from when we used to live here. You used to be best friends with their boys." She waves at me, "I'm sure you'll remember them when you get reacquainted tonight. So don't be late getting back from school. I'll need your help making something to take over."

"I'll do my best." I call over my shoulder and offer our dragon, Percival, a pat on the way out. He wags his thick tale and tries to chew on my laces. I have to toss his ball to distract him long enough to escape without slobber soaked shoes.