waiting for trouble pt.3

My hands won't stop shaking and sweating as I anxiously wait for Ian and Barley. All I know is that we're going on a quest—what for I have no idea—and that I'm supposed to dress warmly and bring my staff.

The sound of Guinivere's engine startles me from my anxious thoughts, and I head outside to see the familiar van barreling down the street. It comes to a halting stop in front of the driveway. Ian and Barley stay in the van for a moment talking to each other before they finally notice me.

Ian's face breaks into a lopsided grin as he meekly waves and opens up his door. "H-hey, Y/N. I—um—I hope it's okay Barley wanted to come along."

Honestly? I would have liked it to be just me and Ian, but Barley's so energetic and sweet that it's hard to be upset. "I don't mind at all." I grin and wave to Barley. "Plus, I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to hang out."

Ian nods with a grin, but he doesn't get to say anything before Barley honks the horn. "Come on! Adventure awaits!"

I hop in the back, despite Ian's protests for me to take shotgun and lean in the space between the seats. "So? Where are we going on this grand adventure, Sir Barley?"

"We are to adventure through New Mushroomton!"

"Barley, this is literally just our town. We see this every day."

"Yes, but this is for Y/N! It's an adventure for her memory."

"Well, since I don't remember a lot, I say let's do it." I grin and nudge Ian, who is still looking a bit sour to the idea. "C'mon, it'll be fun. We'll even get to hang out and make more memories. Please."

"Fine. Let's do it."

Barley and I both cheer as we head out. Rock music blasts through the speakers, and all three of us jam out as we head through the town. It's probably the most I've genuinely smiled and laughed in a long time. With them, there's no obsessive glint in their eyes, and it's comforting to say the least.

The closer we get to our first destination, the more Barley seems to bounce in his seat. His eyes keep glancing at me in the rear view mirror. It's like he's trying to tell me a secret without actually speaking. I offer him a confused look that he seems to ignore with a smile.

"And we have arrived!" Barley cheers as he gestured out the window.

Outside, glowing in the approaching sunset is a playground. It takes me a second to place why it seems so familiar, and I rush out of the van. A grin tugs at my lips as I find Ian's hand. "Race you to the top of the tower?"

Ian pauses for a second, disbelief flickering in his eyes for a second, but it quickly dissolves into pure joy. "Not if I get there first."

The two of us race up each other to the miniature castle and into the tower made to hold two children instead of teenagers. Ian tries to stop me. His hands tug my waist as he attempts to tug me back. I just laugh as I slip away.

Both of us make to the top at the same time. The two of us end up jamming into the tight space, laughing, and smiling like we're kids again. "How did we ever fit up here?" I ask through the growing blush as I realize there's practically no space between Ian and I. He seems to realize it too as I pull away. "I can't believe this sully castle is still here."

"Yeah, they were talking about tearing it down a few years ago, but they just restored and upgraded it."

"Am I remembering correctly? Or did we used to sneak up here with ice cream?"

Ian lets out a laugh that makes me heart jitter. "Yeah. We used to save up our allowance money for it. I'm pretty sure our parents knew, and we thought we were so clever for it."