a siren's sorrow pt. 5

Two days after the party, I had pretty much lost all hope. Peter made his decision, and there was absolutely nothing I can do to change it. All I can do was live with it.

At least, that's what I've had to tell myself over and over again.

The coffee shop was unusually quiet, or maybe it just felt quiet with my somber attitude. Everyone seemed to notice the distinct lack of cheer and took extra careful steps around me. I kept myself away from usual spot at the register, and instead, opted for mixing and brewing the different orders that cycled through.

"Y/N, you might want to take this one." My coworker whispers with a devious grin as he passes me the cup with the order scrawled on the side.

I take the cup and try to hide the growing tremor in my hands when I read the familiar order. Sure enough, he's waiting at his usual spot. There's a nervous grin on his face as he drums his fingers against the table and his knee bounces up and down.

I do everything I can to avoid his gaze as I hurriedly make the drink and am forced on a break by my managers and coworkers. All of whom made it very clear that they 'ship' us.

He looks up at me with a sad smile. "H-hi, Y/N." I set his cup down and turn to leave, but I only make it two steps before he stops me. "Please, I need to talk to you."

"And I need to finish my shift." I tell him, unable to handle the pitiful look he's giving me.

Still, my resolve crumbles the longer I'm here. "I have ten minutes for my break. Is that long enough? Or would you rather wait until I'm finished."

"I'll wait as long as you need me to." He whispers softly. My heart breaks at the look on his face, and I find myself sliding into the booth with Peter closely following. "You never let me finish the other day."

"Well, I figured the answer was pretty clear. It's too much pressure to put on someone. I should never have asked that of you."

"What makes you say that?" He questions and tilts his head to the side a fraction. "Because you do remember you're talking to Spiderman. It's kind of my job to help people." I stay silent, memorizing the grain of the wood in the table. "But it would be my privilege to help you."

"Are you saying--?"

Peter cuts me off with a question of his own. "Sh, let me finish. Y/N L/N, would you like to go on a date with me?" I bite my lip and search his eyes for any hint of doubt or uncertainty. But I find absolutely none. His smile only grows exponentially when I nod, and he reaches across the table to grab my hand. "I'll pick you up tonight. Does seven work for you?"

"It's perfect." I tell him as a blush coats my cheeks. "I'll see you then."

...

5 ½ months later

I pace around the large room, forcing myself to take deep breaths. Everyone smiles and chatters as we wait for Peter to show up.

A smile coats my cheeks at the mere thought of my wondrous boyfriend. "You ready?" Ben questions as he practically bouncing on his toes in excitement.

May rushes between us, hands flailing about as she tries to direct everyone to hide. "He's almost here! Everyone in your places!" She cheers, and her contagious energy sends me bounding into Peter's room to hide for the surprise of my own.

Cheers of "Surprise!" echo through the apartment and into Peter's room, and with every passing second, I feel more excited and anxious to see him again. It all billows and swells as his footsteps approach. I press myself into a corner of his room to stay out of view.

Peter enters the room, backpack slung over his shoulder and a half smile on his face. I hold back a laugh as I sneak up behind him and jump, but his ridiculous spidey senses warn him, causing him to catch me with ease. "I should have known you were hiding around here somewhere." He whispers and presses chaste kisses to my lips. "I missed you."

I roll my eyes at him and unwrap my arms from his neck as he lets go. My fingers fly and shake as I sign to him. "So--I have a surprise for you." He smiles and places his hands on my hips, clearly intrigued. I have to force myself to take a deep breath as I prep for what I've been planning for these past four weeks.

"Happy Birthday, Peter." My voice comes out a little scratchy and soft, but Peter's eyes widen in shock at the sound of it. I hold up a hand to keep him from reacting or saying anything just yet. "And, I love you."

It's the first time either of us has said it. Still, I know Peter feels the same. In fact, I know the exact day he fell in love with me. Four and a half weeks ago, during our weekly movie night.

We were laughing and just enjoying each other's company. He was tired from patrol and could barely keep his eyes open, but I swore he never looked cuter than right then, with his hair tousled, eyes barely open, and sleepily laughing.

He caught me staring, and right then, there was this feeling in my chest that spilled into my throat. Little by little after that day, my voice started returning, and I've been saving this moment to surprise him for his birthday.

Peter's whole faces lights up at the words as he lifts me off my feet and spins me around. Real laughter escapes my lips as he keeps spinning me and peppers my face with kisses. "Why didn't you tell me?" He questions still not letting me down. "You're getting your voice back!"

"Yeah, I am, and I wanted you to be the first to really hear me since I lost it." I whisper to him, giving him a lingering kiss and rubbing our noses together. "Because it's all because of you. You're my Hope. You're my everything, Peter Parker."

"And you're mine too." He grins, and my heart swells immensely in my chest. It makes me feel happier than I ever imagined I could be. Peter Parker makes me happier than I ever thought I could be. "I love you, Y/N L/N, so much more than you know."

A/N: This story is being adapted into a full book! It's currently on hold but will be back soon. Feel free to check it out. ;)