colors pt.6

"Mija, sweetie," my mom calls from just outside my door in that soft tone she reserves specifically for when I'm upset, "there's someone here to see you."

I bury my head in the pillow to hide the tears—because I know it's not him. Well, if it is, I would be monumentally surprised after the nearly three weeks of complete silence between us. Not that I can blame him, I was a little—okay quite—harsh that night.

"Hey, Y/N," Ned calls as he steps inside my room tentatively as if he expects me to snap at any second. "I just—I thought I'd come by and see if you wanted to hang out."

I prop my chin on the pillow I have scrunched to my chest and tangle my fingers in Murph's fur. "I told you, Ned. I'm fine." There's a long span of silence before I whisper, "Plus, shouldn't you be getting ready for tonight? I'd hate for you to miss Homecoming because of me."

"I'm not gonna miss it." He retorts and steps forward so he can sit on the foot of my bed. "And I may not be your friend, but I know you're not fine."

"We are too friends, Ned." I manage as tears reappear in my eyes in what seems like a constant loop, "And what makes you so certain I'm not okay?"

"Because you're crying—and because Peter's the exact same way."

"He is?"

"Yep. It's actually hard to decide which one of you has been more upset." He pauses and looks over to my closet where my mom hung my dress out as an incentive to change my mind and go. "He told me that he wishes it was you instead of Liz. In his words, 'it doesn't feel right going without her now.'"

"Yeah, well, it's a two way street." I complain as I release the pillow and sit up next to Ned. "I keep going to call him, but then I just keep hearing what he said. He acted like I was nothing unless he was you-know, like that's the only reason I would be with him. It just hurt so bad, Ned."

The tears stream down my face as Murph climbs into my lap for comfort and Ned offers his support. "I know, Y/N, and he regrets what he said too. Maybe, just—try to give him a chance to explain and make it up to you?"

I nod, not quite trusting my voice to hold up any longer. "Yeah, I plan on it. I just—need a bit."

Ned stays for a little while to help distract me from everything, which I appreciate. He's been operating as the mediator between Peter and I trying to get us to make up, but he's clearly had no success so far judging by the fact that he's probably picking Liz up any minute and I'm still in sweats and a messy bun.

Thoughts of what was supposed to and what will be collide in my head. Images of Peter and I dancing are taken over by him and Liz. It makes me sick to my stomach and snaps me back to my senses. I love Peter Parker; so why am I sitting here being stubborn instead of making things right? Answer: because sometimes I'm a stupid person.

I slip on my dress and force my hair into a semi-decent updo. My signature lipstick pops alongside the matching color of my dress and the lack of most makeup. But I can't bring myself to care. I just want—no need—to make things right and see Peter. "Wish me luck, Murph!" I cheer as I press a kiss to his head, which he lets out a loud meow in reply that I take as encouragement.

My parents smile at me from the living room couch when they see my outfit, and I swear, I've never seen them look that happy for me to go out late before. Ned quickly sends me the address and a string of happy, celebration emojis. It makes me smile, but does nothing for my crazy nerves as I make my way to Midtown, my heels and heart in hand.

The entire way, my mind drifts to Peter. Will he still be mad at me? What if he won't listen? What if he isn't even there? Or if he realizes the girl he brought is so much better than me? I have to push them away and force deep breaths as I stand outside the entrance.