The Finders Fees

That day after the meeting with Mr. Brain and Mr. Cunning, Mr. Brain took me upstairs and showed me the offices of CloudComputers. As I remarked earlier, it is one of CheapElectronics’ subsidiaries and as it turns out, one of CheapElectronics’ most successful ventures outside of just building phones. And it was all due to someone called Mr. Cloud, who is passionate about getting a solution and executing it completely and utterly perfectly.

I ended up going to learn another trick from one of the sharks. As I mentioned earlier, Mr. Director is a mini shark. By this, I mean he will give you relationships for a small “cut” or finder’s fee. This is something that is sort of understood in the game of business. I realized that things happen in business much more easily than you would imagine, and that you can start hiring people or interviewing without even having a company registered. There’s always a little trick that you can start doing; you don’t have to wait for anything.

I have since made quite a bit of money by using this technique. The reason this works and also is ethical is because you as the referee are providing a service.  You act as a trust agent, and the person you are referring is getting your “stamp” of approval on their service.  If the service is sub-par then your future chances of doing business with the person who bought the service is likely gone.

You often encounter middle men while raising funds for your start-up.  They will introduce you to VC or Angels, with the expectation that you will give them a fee of 2% - 5% depending on the value.  This seems odd at first, but this service that the middle man offers actually is appreciated by the VC or Angel.  The middleman acts as a filter to limit the noise of people pitching.  The middleman is also aware that he must bring quality leads or the Investor no longer will answer his calls.

In this day and age, trust is missing.  We are so afraid to do anything with anyone, and those rare individuals who can bridge trust are needed to help business happen.