Focus on Strengths

I had originally convinced Mr. Mineral that we would try to build a renewable company together.  Instead we ended up working on a variety of companies.  To leverage Mr. Mineral’s existing skills, we decided to try and start a junior mining company.

Junior mining companies are basically a couple of guys who see a plot of land and have done the science behind determining whether or not that plot of land has resources. Back in the day, in Canada, the government did aerial surveys of most of the country, and also did ground surveys where they set charges and then measured the echo from the explosions to get accurate readings using seismology.

Anyone with a couple of hundred dollars and a skilled geologist can lay claim to land where the surveys have turned up resources.  The way it works is that you go on to a website, and you buy the mining rights to a section of land.  You are then given a limited period of time to go to the land and put down physical stakes to mark it off.  Then you are also given limited time to do further work on the land, such as exploring and measuring.  If you fail to do so, your “claim” or lease expires.

Mr. Mineral and one of our mutual friends had discovered that in Yukon there was a promising piece of land.  A junior mining company’s next step was to prepare a report based on the findings and the data they can find, so that they can convince an investor to pay for the cost to buy the land and develop it.

Mr. Mineral’s first project was to prepare this first-stage report.  He managed to get this massive report completed within two weeks. Put your staff to work on what they do best, and great results will just happen.