Shares and Motivation

One of the mistakes I had when forming this company was the lack of formal agreement among the holders.  I had issued the shares in full to each member before any of the work had started.  I can't stress how stupid this was.  I want to warn you, the reader, never to issue shares for your company unless you are certain they are warranted.

One of the problems I faced with holding back shares was lack of motivation expressed by the members.  For many months, I was extremely tight with the remittance of the shares.  I refused to issue shares with the newly formed company until I was sure we had something going.  The problem was I could see that one of the members was no longer engaged with the project.  This member was key to the sales and marketing portion of our company.

I thought that it would work best if I could jolt them with some shares.  At the time, I had issued myself two shares of the company.  This put me at 100%. I had previously offered them 5%, but in a moment of weakness I decided that the remaining unallocated portion of the company should be given to them as well.  This brought their shares up to 19%.  I proceeded to issue 49 more shares to myself, then 19 shares to the member.

The physical handing out of the shares increased the member's motivation.  Shortly after I put the physical shares in their hands, their motivation to help increased significantly.  They were so motivated that they were going off on a tangent and heading to another direction for the company.  We now had two chefs in the kitchen, which created a whole new set of problems.

I found myself attending many new meetings, created by the motivated member, with other companies interested in big data but not what we were doing as a company.

These meeting became a huge distraction, and eventually led me to sell my shares of the company to this member.

Motivation is a good thing, but make sure you keep it in check.  Having a formal agreement in place helps you prevent emotional decisions.  If I had the partners sign a "4 years with a 1 year cliff," a share agreement clause, that allows the shares to be vested 25% per year, with a first year of potentially no shares if the founder is removed, I could have waited until the year was complete.[1]  This would have given me a chance to remove the members without the need for complication.

[1]http://start-uplawyer.com/start-up-law-glossary/4-years-with-a-one-year-cliff