How to Say Goodbye for 4 Months

Now that I had Mr. Mineral on board to help me the next challenge was to explain to my girlfriend that I would be gone for four months.  Needless to say, she was not thrilled about the idea, but I had been dropping hints and slowly planting the seed of the event in her mind while I was still in Asia.  While I was back in Toronto, I took extra care to give her the time and attention she’d been missing for the previous two and half months.  I made it very clear to her that this experience was very important for my development.

I made it clear what I would gain in two ways. I showed her that with my contracting I was able to earn almost the same amount of money, if not more, in Asia.  The second way was I continually fed her stories of my adventures and the lessons I learnt.  I also promised her that I would talk to her each day via Skype.  What ultimately showed my determination was that I told her I was willing to risk our relationship for the chance to grow as a person.

Seeing my conviction, she agreed to give it a shot for another four months because she could see how serious I was about my commitment to succeed.  In the meantime, she would try to get into law school or complete an MBA. To this day, I don’t regret my choice to risk our relationship because both she and I have grown because of our distance and separate experiences.  As Nobel Peace Prize winner Dag Hammarskjöld said:

Never, "for the sake of peace and quiet" deny your own experience or convictions. 

I try to live by this rule every day.