Observations of Korean Customs

To do business effectively in Korea, and most Asian countries, it helps to show the party you are working with respect.  This is usually accomplished by taking on the customs of the country. 

During dining there are a few customs in Korea to take into consideration.  At some more traditional restaurants, you will find that they are no chairs.  Sitting on the floor, feel free to sit cross-legged or with your feet uncrossed.  The key point is to take care not to kick the person sitting directly across from you.

When you are holding chopsticks, make sure to hold each stick with a gap of about half an egg, holding the grip further up, leaving only about 1-2 inches from the top.  Mrs. Queen informed me that this shows that you have good manners, and that the newer generation of Koreans tends to hold both chopsticks together as if it were one stick and poke their food instead of picking it up.  Stabbing your food shows a lack of grace and should be avoided.

When pouring drinks, be sure to pour for everyone else first, and in descending order of age, before pouring your own drink.  This shows respect. Also, when pouring, be sure to pour with the right hand, with your left hand supporting from the right elbow.  When drinking the drink, look to the side and drink, it is considered rude to lift your chin up directly at the person with whom you are sharing a drink.

There is generally no tipping in Korea, and the person who organized the event is the one that treats, although it’s fine to offer to pay.

Some other interesting facts are that Korea used Chinese characters as their own up until the 1500s.  Also, kimchi and spicy foods were introduced around the same time.  If you are ever in South Korea, make sure to visit the airport.  There was live music, free painting workshops, and plenty of space to rest.