Finalé: Vren

I've never been so anxious in my whole life – not until today.

What if Mira changed her mind at the last minute and decided not to show up? Or worse, what if something terrible happened on her way here? God, I'll die. Literally. I'd disappear from the face of the earth, mourning my loss, and I would never —

"Bro, bakit ganyan ang itsura mo? Don't tell me you're nervous," Vince's teasing tone brought me back to reality.

"Me, nervous?" I scoffed. "Of course not. Why in the world would I be..." I faltered under my brother's knowing gaze. "Oh, alright! I'm nervous!" I confessed in a harsh whisper. "What if Mira doesn't show up?"

To my utter annoyance, this made Vince crack up. I gave him a wicked glare, and he was forced to tone it down just as his laughter was starting to earn curious glances from the crowd.

"Sorry, bro." He was still trying to suppress his laughter. "Hindi ko lang talaga mapigilang tumawa. Ikaw, ang pinaka-overconfident na taong kilala ko, nininerbiyos? Besides, what made you think that Mira won't show up today?"

"You're not helping, Vince," I said, exasperated that my brother chose to make fun of me instead of trying to offer some reassurance.

Seconds later, though, I felt a pat on my back. "Relax, bro. Mira will be here anytime soon. You don't want your jitters spoiling your big day."

Soon after, Vira approached us, a giddy smile on her face.

"Oh, little cupcake. Your tie is crooked." Vira smirked before straightening the thing up. "By the way, I came here to tell you that the bridal car had just arrived. Mira is here. Are you ready?"

"Of course, I am."

"Good." My sister gave me a quick hug. "I'd better go, too. Smile! It's your big day."

Just as the priest took his place at the altar and the processional music started playing, I took a deep breath, readying myself for the sight of my bride.

****

Our wedding entourage was guilty of being lengthy. But there were a lot of people who had been a part of our relationship and our lives beforehand that it would be a crime not to include them in the lineup.

Mom and Dad led the line, followed by Tita Monica and Tita Ivana, both escorted by Myron.

Then, there were the groomsmen and bridesmaids walking in pairs — Francis and Kate, Gabe and Aliara, Xander and Lovely. Ervic was paired up with Vira, because my sister's husband unfortunately couldn't make it today. Chase walked with Cherie, Mira's best friend from college.

Ending the line of groomsmen and bridesmaids were Alexia and Mavi. And finally, there was Hannah, Mira's maid of honor. My bride, of course, was faced with the trouble of choosing who between Mavi and Hannah would be her maid of honor. But Mavi, kind as ever, gave way for Hannah without hesitation, since it would be just appropriate to pair Vince, my best man, with his girlfriend.

I had to smile when it's the children's turn to enter. Sweet little Miggie, our ring bearer, looked adorable in his tiny suit. In a fluffy pink gown was Juli, leading the line of flower girls who, aside from my niece, were all little girls from Angels' Cradle. And then there's Zac, our endearingly handsome Bible bearer.

Soon, the guests started standing and turning their gazes at the back of the church. The enormous doors opened, light flooded in almost cinematically, and there was Mira — my lovely bride — in her radiant perfection.