14: Vren

Even though it's a given that my girlfriend would, at some point, finally introduce me to her family, that didn't stop me from overthinking of ways to make them approve of me. I practically spent the last few days badgering Mira about it.

Should I bring a gift? (According to my girlfriend, there's no need to do so. But after I insisted to bring even something for dessert, she finally consented.)

What should I wear? (Mira laughed so hard on this one, much to my annoyance. Daig ko pa raw ang babae kung mag-isip. Easy for her to say, as she wasn't the one who needed to impress her significant other's family.)

Will they like me? (This was the question I kept on repeating, and every time I did, my girlfriend had her reassurance ready. In fact, up until we arrived at the Custodio residence, Mira was still convincing me that her family will surely be thrilled to meet me.)

Mabuti na lang at gaya nang sinabi ni Mira ay madali kong nakuha ang loob ng mga magulang niya. Her mom, Tita Monica, is warm and friendly, much like her daughter. Hindi maipagkakaila kung kanino namana ni Mira ang personalidad niya. Add that to the fact that they look so alike – there's no denying that Mira is Tita Monica's daughter.

Her dad, Tito Ted, is much more serious and quieter than the ladies of the family. But he has his own brand of humor, too, dropping a dad joke here and there while we ate lunch. I'd daresay it was him whom Mira inherited her kindness and sympathy from – it was easy to picture a little Mira listening to Mr. Custodio's words of wisdom.

And her brother, Myron? Three words – Mira's guy version. Kung gaano kakulit at kadaldal ang ate niya ay ganoon din siya, not to mention that he looks like a younger Mira but with manly features. He'd easily fit the "boy next door" image, but I think it would be more fitting to call Myron the "talkative and hilarious boy next door".

After the excellent lunch we shared, consisting of some of my favorite dishes which I'm sure Mira told her mom about beforehand, her dad pulled me aside to talk. We left Mira, Myron, and Tita Monica exchanging meaningful looks with each other.

"Siguro naman ay alam mo na kung tungkol saan ang pag-uusapan natin, hijo," he began with a small smile.

I nodded assent, returning his smile.

"Nasa tamang edad na ang anak ko, Vren, kaya wala namang problema sa akin ang pakikipagrelasyon niya – lalo na sa isang matinong lalaki na tulad mo. Pero hijo, isa lang ang ipapakiusap ko sa'yo. 'Wag na 'wag mong sasaktan si Mira, ha?"

"Of course, sir. Sinisigurado ko po sa inyo na hinding-hindi ko sasaktan ang anak niyo."

"Napakabait na anak niyang si Mira. Ni minsan, hindi kami binigyan ng sakit ng ulo. At mapagmahal na ate, kaya maswerte ang kapatid niya. Sabi nga nila, kung gusto mong makita ang tunay na ugali ng isang tao, tingnan mo kung paano niya itrato ang pamilya niya." We both glanced at Mira, who was then laughing with her mom and younger brother. "Si Mira ang tipo ng babae na iniingatan at siniseryoso."

"I know that, sir."

Mira's father gave me a friendly pat on the shoulder. "Nakikita ko namang seryoso ka kay Mira. Alam mo ba, excited 'yang ipakilala ka sa amin."

I smiled. "And I'm more than excited to hear that you wanted to meet me. Salamat po sa pag-imbita sa akin."

Mr. Custodio nodded and returned my smile. "Ikaw na ang bahala kay Mira, hijo. Maasahan ko ba 'yan?"

"Yes, sir. I'll take care of Mira, no matter what."

****

"Pogi, sama ka ulit kay Mira sa susunod na pag-uwi niya rito, ha?" Tita Monica pulled me in for a quick hug. Then she patted my cheek with motherly affection before gushing, "Naku, ang gwapo-gwapo talaga ng future son-in-law ko!", which made me laugh.

"Thanks, Tita. And don't worry, I'll try to visit again soon. Hindi po ako nangangako na makakadalaw ulit ako kaagad, pero kapag hindi na po ako abala sa trabaho, ako po mismo ang mag-aaya kay Mira na bumisita rito."

"Ma, tama na po 'yan," Mira pried her mom away from me, rolling her eyes. "Quota na si Vren sa kakasabi niyo kung gaano siya kagwapo."

"Oo nga naman, Ma," seconded Myron with a chuckle. "Baka magselos na po si Papa."

"Hindi naman ako nate-threaten," Tito Ted replied with a laugh. "Alam ko namang ako pa rin ang pinakagwapo sa mata ng nanay niyo."

"O siya, mauna na po kami ni Vren." Mira kissed her parents on the cheek. Then she turned to Myron, hands on her hips. "At ikaw, Myron Theo, mag-aral ka nang mabuti, ha? 'Wag ko lang malaman na nagpapasaway ka kina Mama at Papa. 'Wag puro online gaming! Alalahanin mong hindi ako magdadalawang-isip na patanggalan ng internet connection ang bahay natin."

Myron only grinned at his sister's words. "Ha! Wala nang talab ang pamba-blackmail mo sa akin, Ate. Nandyan naman si Kuya Vren."

"Myron!" saway ng kanilang tatay. "Ikaw talagang bata ka..."

Our bunso looked deflated, until I leaned towards him and whispered, "Count on me."

This time, it was Tita Monica who shooed us away. "Bumiyahe na kayo, mga anak. Baka abutin pa kayo ng gabi sa daan. Mira, tumawag ka kapag nakarating na kayo ni Pogi, ha?"

"Opo, Ma," Mira assured her mom, before the two of us walked towards the gate.

I waved another goodbye to Mira's family before climbing into my car.

****

"You have such a nice family," I told Mira, smiling as I gave her a quick glance. She was at her usual spot – my car's passenger seat. "Just as how I imagined them to be."

"Ngayon, alam mo na kung kanino ko namana ang kabaliwan ko," my girlfriend replied.

"Yup." Tumawa naman ako. "Maybe I should start calling you Monica Jr.? And Myron could be Mira Jr."

She giggled. "Si Papa lang ang matino sa pamilya namin."

"I love your dad's dry sense of humor, though."

"Probably because you have a dry sense of humor, too."

"True," I said, sniggering. "Bet I'll be good at making dad jokes in the future."

"Vren?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you, ha? I really appreciate your effort na magustuhan ka ng mga magulang at ng kapatid ko." My eyes were focused on the road, but I didn't need to look at her to know that Mira was smiling.

"That wasn't just me trying to impress them," I told her. "I was really enjoying myself earlier."

"Kahit na," Mira replied. "You were so patient with Mama and Myron, and I know they could be annoying."

Another laugh escaped me. "Honestly? I found Tita Monica adorable. You're so lucky to have her – she's a cool mom. And Myron? He's the little brother I wish I had."

"Sus, ang sabihin mo, feel na feel mo lang na gwapong-gwapo sa'yo si Mama," she teased.

"That was a plus factor," I said, making her laugh.

"Ano nga pala ang sinabi sa'yo ni Papa kanina?" she inquired.

"Oh, you know, the usual father-to-boyfriend stuff. He made me promise that I'll never hurt you and that I'll take care of you. Not that I need reminding, of course."