16: Vren

I gave up on music when it became clear to me that I am no longer the person I used to be. Sure, I still listen to it, but only just. Never did I imagine myself singing and playing in front of many people again.

But as Grey Light performed "For The First Time" by The Script, I felt like I just found a piece of me that's been missing for a long time. Wearing this ridiculous black t-shirt with our band name printed on it in gray letters (Francis' idea, of course) coupled with jeans and sneakers, with Mira at the audience, staring at me like she couldn't believe her eyes... I decided that attending the homecoming wasn't a bad idea, after all.

When the song ended, the crowd asked for another, but we politely declined. I was so out of practice, it was a miracle that I made it through the first song all right.

Once we were backstage again, Gabe pulled me in for a brotherly hug. "We missed you, bro," he said.

"Stop it, Gabriel. You're too emotional," I kidded. "But seriously, I missed all of you, too. I missed Grey Light." I gave him a pat on the back before withdrawing from the hug.

Xander cleared his throat. "Believe me, Vren, no one liked it when we grew apart. We know you resented us because you felt abandoned, but..."

"I guess we just got jealous of you. Right after college, you were handed this responsibility that gave your life direction," Francis supplied. "Kami? Ni hindi namin alam kung ano ang gagawin namin sa buhay. You could say that we resented you for that."

"You were always the cool one," Ervic said. "And suddenly you were the matured one. The successful one. And we were just these little shits who did nothing but get wasted."

I laughed bitterly. "Seriously? You have no idea what that responsibility costed me. For starters, I lost practically all my friends." I shook my head. "And for that, yes, you are all little shits. Though, I hope you're all doing productive stuff now."

The four of them laughed. "We do," said Gabe. "And dude, we're trying to say sorry here."

"Thank God for that." I grinned. "And I'm trying to say that it's okay. Let's just forget about it."

"So, Mira... she's a nice woman," Francis ventured. "And really pretty. Gaano na kayo katagal?"

"A few months," I answered, changing back to my suit. "And yeah, she's the best."

"Siya ba ang first girlfriend mo after ni Isa– aray! Masakit 'yon, Francis Lee!" Ervic shot Francis, who punched him on the arm, a contemptuous look.

"Shut the fuck up, Erv," Francis warned him.

I laughed. Francis was trying so hard to remain in my good graces, lalo pa at kakatapos pa lang naming magkaayos-ayos.

"It's okay, France." I nodded at him. "And yes, Erv. Mira's the only woman I dated after Isabella."

"Wow. That was a long gap, dude," Xander commented.

Nagkibit-balikat ako. "Dating opportunities don't really come often when you're always locked in your office."

"Or when you started hating women in general," Ervic muttered, earning him a whack on the head from Francis. I chuckled.

"Well, have you seen her yet?" Gabe inquired. "Isabella? She's here."

"Nope. What do I need to see her for?" I threw my Grey Light shirt at him. "We're over. And I'm not giving her the opportunity to bother me, no matter how much she wants to do so."

"No matter how much she wants to do so?" Xander echoed. "What do you mean, bro?"

In response, I told them about the letter Isabella sent me recently.