24: Vren

"Thank you, Mira." I enveloped my girlfriend in a hug, trying to convey how grateful I was that she was there to help my niece. "We owe you Juli's life."

"Sabi nang wala 'yon." She laughed lightly against my chest. "At saka hindi lang naman ako ang tumulong kay Juli. Sina Alexia at Mavi rin."

"The first thing I'll do after we get out of this car is go to AD and thank them," I told her, smiling. I kissed her forehead before exiting the car to open the door for her. We just arrived at Medialink, as my girlfriend insisted we should go back to work after they let us visit Juli in her recovery room. After all, there were still a few hours before today's shift ends, and Mira was determined to hold a meeting to relay some corporate updates to the rest of the accounting department.

"Ayain din natin sila na sumama sa AMMC mamaya. I'm sure na gusto rin nilang madalaw si Juli," she suggested. After work, we planned to return to the hospital for another visit to my niece.

"Sure," I agreed. "Para na rin mapasalamatan sila ni Vira. My sister needs to learn how to say her thanks properly."

Mira chuckled. "Magkapatid nga kayo. Ikaw, hirap mag-sorry. Ang ate mo naman, hirap mag-thank you."

"Hey, I already learned how to say sorry!" I protested, chuckling as well. "You're a good teacher."

"Why, thank you." She beamed. "Kapag sawa na ako sa pagiging accountant, mag-a-apply na lang ako bilang Values teacher."

"Dork." I pinched her nose, laughing as she swatted my hand away indignantly. Hand in hand, we walked towards Medialink's entrance.

****

"Alright, that's enough." With a look that plainly said SOS to my girlfriend, I pried Alexia's hand off my chest after our supposed friendly hug turned into a full-on groping. It instantly made me regret saying thanks to Mira's annoying gay friend. Para labanan ang kagustuhan kong ibalibag siya mula sa rooftop ng Medialink, inisip ko na lang na isa si Alexia sa mga tumulong kay Juli kanina. Throwing someone down from the rooftop didn't seem t00 grateful an action at all.

"Hoy, kanina ka pa. Tama na 'yan! Hindi na hug 'yan, e. Minomolestiya mo na ang boyfriend ko!" Mira started dragging Alexia away from me, amidst Mavi's laughter.

"Aray! Let go of me! Masama bang i-feel ang pecs at abs ni Sir Vren?" Alexia glared at Mira.

"Oo!" sagot naman ng girlfriend ko. "Ako lang ang may karapatang gumawa niyan. Baklang 'to!"

"Hey, Ms. Alegre. I owe you one, too," I told Mavi as Mira and Alexia continued bickering. "You don't need a hug, do you?"

She laughed. "Don't worry, sir. Hindi po ako katulad ni Alexia."

"Good." I grinned. "Thanks for helping Juli and keeping an eye on Miggie earlier. I really appreciate it."

"Walang anuman po, sir." Mavi smiled.

"Mira and I will visit Juli later. You and Alexia should come, too. Unless you already have plans?"

"Ay, wala naman po akong ibang pupuntahan mamaya. I think ganoon din si Alexia. Pwedeng-pwede po kaming sumama sa pagdalaw kay Juli."

"Great. See you later, then."

****

"Sir! Mabuti naman at nakabalik na po kayo. Kumusta ang pamangkin niyo?" Lally asked upon seeing me return to my office.

"She's okay now. Thanks for asking," I replied. "Anything important that came through while I was away?"

"May isa lang pong tumawag, sir." Lally was consulting her small notebook again. "Kaibigan niyo raw po. Isabella dela Merced po ang pangalan."

The temperature in my office seemed to plunge even lower.

Pati ba naman office line ko, ginagambala na rin ni Isabella? How did she even get hold of my work number?

"What did she say?" I asked my secretary, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Please call back. I need to tell you something important," Lally recited. She looked up from her notes, her expression too intrigued for my liking. "Sino 'yon, sir? Business partner?"

"Never you mind," I snapped. "Could you please leave me alone for a few minutes? Don't take any other call or let anybody in until I tell you it's okay to do so."

"Yes, sir." After casting me one last look of curiosity, Lally went out to return to her post.

With a defeated sigh, I fished my phone out of my pocket and dialed Isabella's number, which I still have on my log. She picked up after the first ring.

"Andrei! Finally." Her tone was pleased, which annoyed me even more. "How are you?"

"I don't have time for niceties, Isabella. Let's just get this over with. Ano ba talaga ang kailangan mo sa akin, ha? Why do you keep on bugging me?"

"Andrei, if only I didn't have something important to tell you –"

"You keep on saying that! Why don't you just give me a straight answer? What the fuck do you need to tell me?"

"It's not something you should be told about over a phone call," she hedged.

Frustrated, I slammed my hand on the table. "Tell me now, or don't bother telling me at all. I'm getting tired of this shit."

"Please, Andrei. Just give me this one last favor and I'll be out of your life for good. I'm waiting here at our café."

"Our café, huh?" I scoffed. "I think you forgot that I've long surrendered ownership of that place. It's yours, and yours alone. I don't fancy sharing anything with you after what you did to me."

Silence on the other line.

"Besides, I can't go today," I continued in a calmer tone, suddenly ashamed of my outburst.

"Tomorrow, then. Or the next day." Isabella's voice was breathy, exhausted. "Just... just don't make me wait for too long. I don't have much time."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused by her choice of words.

"Goodbye, Andrei. I'll be waiting." She ended the call. And just like that, I played right into Isabella's hands again.

****

It's almost seven in the evening when we – that is, Mira, Mavi, Alexia, and I – arrived at AMMC. Just as planned, we're going to visit Juli again before calling it a day.

I just got out of my parked car when I caught sight of Café Isabella. Somewhere inside it was my ex-girlfriend, waiting for me.

I shuddered. I just couldn't face her tonight.

"Vren? Tara na!" I didn't even realize I just stood and stared transfixed at Café Isabella, until Mira called me. I looked and saw her wearing a bemused expression.

"May problema ba at natutulala ka riyan?" tanong niya nang hindi pa rin ako nagsasalita.

"Nothing," I lied. "Everything's fine."

"Really?" Mira didn't look convinced. "You seemed to be bothered by something. Why don't you tell me about it, habang wala pa tayong ibang kasama?"

She gestured to our far left, and I saw Alexia and Mavi, already a good distance away. Mira must have told them to proceed without us.

I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself. I hate worrying Mira, but this whole Isabella debacle isn't something I could just tell her casually at AMMC's parking lot.

Not knowing anything else to do, I just smiled at her and said, "I'm just tired, that's all. It's been quite a day. Come on, I bet Juli's already looking for us."