30: Vren

"Hey." Vince nodded amicably as soon as he saw me enter his office. "Thanks for coming, bro. There's something I badly need to tell you."

"And you couldn't have told me about it over the phone?" I asked as I occupied the single-seater couch opposite his desk. "Kailangan pa talagang papuntahin mo ako rito? You know how busy I am."

My brother sighed. "I'm sorry for bothering you. You know how some things are better discussed personally."

"Fair enough." I leaned back on my seat and crossed my arms. "So, to what do I owe this invitation? What are we going to discuss?"

"Who," he corrected. "We're talking about Isabella."

"What about that woman?" My brows furrowed. "Look, I already made it clear to you that —"

"I really think you two should talk," Vince cut me off. "My hunch was right all along. Talagang may importante siyang kailangang sabihin sa'yo."

"How come you're so sure about this?" I demanded, my frown becoming more pronounced. "Nag-usap ba kayo ng babaeng 'yon?"

"Yep. We talked over coffee," pag-amin ng kapatid ko. "Unlike you, I have no problem with that." He allowed himself a smirk. "Sinabi niya sa akin kung ano ang balak niyang ipaalam sa'yo. And as much as I'd like to reveal it to you now, I am not in a position to do so. Mas mabuting sa kanya mo mismo marinig 'yon, Vren."

"Oh, come on. Just spill the beans. Spare me from the agony of having to talk to her," I coaxed.

Umiling-iling si Vince. "Nangako ako kay Isabella na hindi ko siya pangungunahan. If I were you, I'd talk to my ex-girlfriend as soon as possible. There's not much time left for you to do so."

Isabella said something similar to me, too. Why do they keep on saying that?

"Really? If it's urgent, then quit being cryptic and just fucking tell me about it."

"Talk to her, Vren. I swear, everything will make sense."

"I can't believe you're helping that woman bait me," asik ko sa kanya. "What gives?"

"Bro, I'm on your side." My brother held up a placating hand. "Maniwala ka sa akin — pagsisisihan mo kapag hindi mo kinausap si Isabella."

I didn't bother with another reply this time. I just stood up, gave him one last enraged look, and walked out of his office.

Talking to Vince was a total waste of time. I better go back to Medialink.

****

Try as I might, I couldn't focus on work after my conversation with Vince.

"Damn it," I muttered, tossing aside the business proposal I was reviewing. "I need to talk to someone."

Normally, when I am this agitated, I seek the company of my girlfriend. But since I was adamant that Mira remained unaware of this whole Isabella situation, I couldn't even tell her about my recent spat with Vince. And I had no interest in telling my college friends about it, either. Alam ko namang gaya ng kapatid ko, papayuhan nila akong kausapin na lang ang ex-girlfriend ko para matapos na ang problema kong ito.

Does no one understand that if given the choice between talking to Isabella and not having to, I would really prefer the second? Why is everyone giving me such a hard time about it?

I scrolled through my list of contacts, trying to gauge if there is anyone — anyone — who was likely to listen willingly to my dilemma. And that's when I saw Vira's number.