18: Vren

Curse Vira. Kung hindi ko pa siya napigilan kanina, malamang ay nalaman na ni Mira ang tungkol kay Isabella.

"Excuse me what? Ito ang ipinalit mo kay ?"

Every time I remember the way my spoiled brat of a sister treated Mira, not to mention how she deliberately tried to bring the subject of my ex-girlfriend into the conversation, I feel the strong urge to give Vira a whack in the head.

I'll find a way to get even with my evil sister, after her display of attitude towards my girlfriend. No one messes with my Mirathea.

I couldn't even fathom why Vira felt the need to mention Isabella. Was she trying to wind me up? If she was, then she clearly succeeded. Mentioning my ex did wind me up, and now I couldn't get that wretched woman out of my head.

****

"Happy Valentine's, Bella. It's been four years." I smiled as I wrapped my arms around Bella. The air smelled of her vanilla perfume.

To my surprise, instead of hugging me back, Bella stepped away from me.

"Hey. What's wrong?" I asked, confused.

It took several moments before she answered. With another jolt of surprise, I noticed that her eyes were brimming with tears. "I'm sorry, Andrei."

"Why are you saying sorry? What's the matter?" muling tanong ko. I was starting to get nervous, almost as if I already knew what's to come.

Tuluyan nang pumatak ang mga luha ni Bella. Quickly, almost angrily, she wiped them away.

I cupped her face with my hands. "Babe, what's wrong?"

"Let's end this, Andrei. This relationship isn't working anymore."

"W-what are you talking about?"

"Wala ka nang ibang iniintindi kundi ang trabaho mo. Pagod na akong maging second priority mo."

"I'm sorry," I replied in a hollow voice. "I thought you understand how much pressure I'm getting from Dad, when it comes to Medialink. Dapat noon mo pa sinabi na ganyan na pala ang nararamdaman mo. Believe me, Bella, you were never second in my priorities. I love you more than anything or anyone."

"Bullshit."

I stared at her, eyes wide with shock. Bella never cursed.

"I should go," she continued when I failed to respond. "Goodbye, Andrei. Thanks for the four years. You've been a great boyfriend... only not anymore."

Without further ado, she turned her back on me and started walking away. But after a few steps, she stopped and faced me again.

"Just in case you're thinking of trying to win me over again... please don't. I'm already with someone else."

This time, when she turned away from me, she never looked back again.

Now all alone, shocked and angry and miserable, I cried. My heart felt like it was shattered into a million pieces.

I never cried... not until then.

That was the night when Andrei died.

****

"Sir Vren?" My secretary's voice brought me back to reality. God knows how long Lally had been looking at me while I stared into nothingness.

"Yeah?" I took a deep breath and met her gaze. "What's up, Lally?"