34: Vren

I received a call from Vince just before I settled in for the night. Wondering what it might be about, I instantly picked it up.

"Hey," I said by way of greeting. "What's up?"

Judging by my brother's tone when he answered, I knew right away that something was wrong. "Vren, I thought I should let you know... Si Isabella, isinugod dito sa ospital."

"Why? What happened?"

"Bigla na lang siyang nawalan ng malay. Dinala siya rito ng dalawang staff ng café niyo... I mean, ng café niya."

I allowed myself a deep breath before speaking again. "How is she? Have you informed her family?"

"Her parents are out of the country. And as far as I know, Isabella's been keeping her condition a secret from everyone," Vince explained. "Hindi pa alam ng mga magulang niya ang tungkol sa sakit niya."

"Jesus. That's terrible." Napahilamos ako ng mukha. "Why is she even at work? She should be at home, resting."

"I know. I think she's trying to act as normal as possible, so no one would suspect that something's wrong with her." Vince sighed. "But at this point, there's no way she could still keep her illness a secret."

"I'm coming over. She's got no one — not even a sibling who could look after her," I said in a resolute tone. "I'll see you later, bro."

****

"Isabella had told me she stopped responding to treatments but... is there anything else you could try?" I asked Vince in a low voice. The two of us were discussing my ex-girlfriend's condition outside her hospital room.

Malungkot na umiling ang kapatid ko. "I believe her former doctors had tried every possible treatment – chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy... If she stopped responding to all of those, there's not much else we could do. But of course, we'll still try to manage her condition."

"Manage her condition? That's all you plan to do?" I knew my irritation towards my brother was unwarranted, but I couldn't help it.

Vince, of course, wasn't new to this kind of response. After all these years of being a medical professional, he must have already dealt with all possible forms of reactions from their patients' families and friends. He placed a sympathetic hand on my shoulder and said, "We'll do our best, Vren. But to be completely honest to you, three months is already a fairly optimistic prediction, given how far Isabella's condition has progressed."

"I still can't believe it." I shook my head, feeling suddenly drained. "Bella, on the verge of dying... It just doesn't make sense to me."

"Sadly, there really are things and circumstances we won't easily understand. But we have to deal with them, or otherwise come to terms with them." Vince patted my shoulder before withdrawing his hand. "I need to check on the other patients, bro. Hindi ka pa ba uuwi? Patapos na ang visiting hours."

I shook my head. "I might as well stay here overnight. Walang ibang pwedeng magbantay kay Bella. Will that be okay?"

"Of course." Vince gave me a small smile. "Let me know if there's anything you need. I'll be in my office after my rounds."

****

Bella's ghostly pale face was all I needed to be convinced that she, indeed, was suffering from a terminal disease. That, and the fact that she had been unconscious for already a fairly long time.

I dragged a seat to her bedside and occupied it, staring at her as I tried to sort my feelings out. Bella looked peaceful while sleeping. I hope she's not in pain.