52: Vren

"Myron, meet my college buddies — Francis, Ervic, Xander, and Gabe." I grinned at the sight of my girlfriend's brother, who was obviously enthralled by the presence of the rest of Grey Light's members. Then I turned to my friends and said, "Guys, this is Myron. He's Mira's younger brother."

"Nice to meet you, Myron." Ervic gave him a friendly nod. "Kamukhang-kamukha mo ang ate mo, ah. May boy version pala si Mira."

"Hey there, buddy." Xander, on the other hand, fist-bumped with Myron. "Do you play any instrument?"

"Marunong po akong maggitara nang kaunti," Myron replied, looking abashed.

"'Wag ka nang mag-'po' sa amin. Pinapatanda mo naman kami, e." Francis snickered. "Tropa-tropa lang tayo rito."

He led Myron to a corner of the music studio we're in, and the rest of us followed. Then he handed him an electric guitar, already plugged into an amp.

"Come on. Show us how you really are with a guitar," Gabe told Myron with an encouraging smile.

I watched as Mira's brother did a few tentative strums on the guitar, getting the hang of it. Then, to our surprise, he played the first few chords of Maroon 5's Won't Go Home Without You. He was grinning when he looked up again.

"You can play!" I exclaimed with a delighted chuckle. "Why haven't you told me about this before?"

"'Yan ba ang marunong maggitara nang kaunti?" tatawa-tawang sabi ni Ervic. "Finish the song, My. Mag-jamming tayo."

Ervic took his place behind the keyboard, while Xander and Gabe grabbed guitars of their own. Francis, on the other hand, rushed to the drum set. Laughing, I took the mic from a nearby stand before starting to sing.

I asked her to stay, but she wouldn't listen
And she left before I had the chance to say
Words that would mend the things that were broken
And now it's far too late, she's gone away

Every night you cry yourself to sleep
Thinking, "Why does this happen to me?"
"Why does every moment have to be so hard?"
I do believe that

It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

"That's what I'm talking about!" I ruffled Myron's hair after we finished the song. "Way to go, li'l bro!"

"Grey Light could use another member, you know." Francis patted him on the shoulder. "Of course, we don't really play as often as we used to... pero gusto mo bang maging parte ng banda?"

"A-ako po, kasali na sa Grey Light?" Myron looked stunned. "Seryoso po ba 'yan?"

The rest of us laughed.

"Ayaw mo ba?" Ervic asked him. "Kasama ka na sa mga gimmick namin. 'Yon nga lang, hindi ka lang namin papayagang sumali sa inuman. Baka katayin kami ng ate mo."

"I was just about to say that." I sniggered. "Welcome to the band, My. Surely —"

I was cut off by a ringing sound, which turned out to be coming from my phone.

"Hang on. I have to get this," I told the group, frowning slightly at the name of the caller flashed on the screen. Then I made my way out of the room and shut the door behind me.

"Hey, Tita Ivana."

"Vren." Even just by the way Bella's mother said my name, I could already tell that she's in a state of panic. "Do you know where Bella is?"