70: Vren

Deliberately meeting up with Chase Constantino — the guy whose guts I completely hated — wasn't something I envisioned myself doing, but I was desperate to know anything that might lead us to the identity of Zac's real father. The most sensible thing to do, of course, was talk to the person who prided on being Bella's confidant during her trying times.

When I told him the reason why I wanted to talk to him, Chase's face registered surprise.

"You're not Zac's father? Damn." He chuckled, more bitterly than anything. "That came as a huge shock to me. All this time, ikaw ang pinaniniwalaan kong tatay ng bata. Now, I don't know what to think anymore."

"How can I be sure that you aren't lying? Baka ikaw pala ang totoong ama ni Zac. Baka pinapaikot mo lang kaming lahat," I accused him.

"Wow. What a stupid thing for you to say." He scoffed. "Ano naman ang mapapala ko sa pagsisinungaling, Vren? In case Mira missed telling you this, Bella was already pregnant when I met her in Australia. Paano mangyayaring ako ang tatay ni Zac?"

"Right." I sighed. "Do you have any idea on who it might be, then?"

He shook his head. "I wish I did, but I'm just as clueless as you are. Like I said, I always thought you to be Zac's father. How could I think otherwise, gayong ikaw lagi ang bukambibig ni Bella? Naririndi na nga ako sa pangalan mo."

In that moment, I was forced to look at things in Chase's perspective, especially at how frustrating it must have been to try getting loved back by a woman who was clearly hung up on somebody else. Suddenly, I felt sorry for the guy.

"I'm sorry for being the reason why Bella never loved you back," I told him in earnest.

Chase looked taken aback at my sudden change of tone, but he just shrugged eventually. "I hated you for it. But now that she's gone, it doesn't really matter anymore. I suppose I should just get over it."

"There really isn't anything else to do," I agreed. "Let's just move on with our lives."

He nodded. "Look, if you're really serious with your attempt to find out who Zac's father is, I won't be of much use to you. Pero susubukan kong tanungin ang iba pang mga naging kaibigan ni Bella sa Australia. Baka may napagsabihan siya kahit isa man sa kanila."

"Really? You'll help?"

"No need to act surprised. I'm not doing this for you, anyway — I'm doing it for Zac."

"Of course. But all the same, I'm thankful."

****

Mira and I decided to drop by the dela Merced residence and pay her nephew a visit before calling it a day. Although my girlfriend was a bit disappointed to hear that Chase also had no clue about Zac's dad, she was overjoyed to learn that her college friend and I already decided to bury the hatchet.

"Mabuti naman at nagkaayos na kayong dalawa," she remarked. "Akala ko ay habambuhay na lang kayong mag-aangilan."

"Yeah. It feels good to make peace with yet another person on my hate list," I confessed with a chuckle.

Zac was, as expected, delighted to see me and his Tita Mommy. We helped him with his homework, and too soon, it was his bedtime.

Mira, ever the sweetest aunt, read the kid a story before we bid him good night.

"...Mother Bunny was reunited with her two babies, who were delighted to see their mommy back. And so, they lived happily ever after. Do you want to hear another story, Zac?"

"No, Tita Mommy. I better sleep now." Zac yawned. "Good night, Tita Mommy. Good night, Daddy."

"Good night, baby." Mira kissed him on the cheek. I, on the other hand, said, "Good night, buddy," before kissing him on the forehead.