55: Mira

Hindi ko alam kung ano ang mararamdaman ko dahil sa unang pagkakataon na nakatapak ako sa dela Merced residence, ang sadya ko ay para makiramay sa pagkamatay ni Bella. Alam ko na kahit anong sabihin ko sa mga magulang niya, wala akong magagawa para mabawasan ang lungkot na dala ng pagkawala ng nag-iisa nilang anak.

Sa maikling panahon na nakilala ko si Bella, half of which I spent practically hating her, I eventually learned kung bakit siya ang kauna-unahang babae na sineryoso ni Vren. She had almost everything a man looks for in a woman. Siguro, hindi lang maisasama roon ang salitang loyalty dahil nagawa niyang lokohin at iwan si Vren. But frankly, I didn't know the whole story of their breakup, which makes me in no place to judge.

Still, hindi ako katulad ng iba na ikinatutuwa ang pagkawala ng karibal nila. Oo, I wanted Bella out of Vren's life as much as possible, pero hindi ko naman hiniling na literal siyang mawala sa mundo.

The moment we arrived, kaagad na niyakap ni Tita Ivana si Vren. Her eyes, as expected, were red from crying. Sir Arkin, on the other hand, looked surprised to see me — just as I predicted.

"Ms. Custodio, what brought you here?" he asked.

I cleared my throat as the awkwardness I feel whenever I'm around Bella's father started to resurface.

"Sir, I didn't have the chance to tell you this when we met at the conference, pero kilala ko po si Bella. It's because Vren and I..." I snuck a glance at my boyfriend, who was comforting Tita Ivana, "are actually together."

"I see," Sir Arkin replied with a nod of his head.

"Condolence nga po pala," pagkaraan ay sabi ko. "I'm really sorry about Bella."

"Thank you, hija." He gave me a sad smile. His wife, at that point, started to approach us.

"Condolence po, Tita," sabi ko nang ako naman ang yakapin ng nanay ni Bella.

"Thank you, Mira," she responded in an almost-whisper.

When we pulled apart from each other, she took folded pieces of cream-colored paper out of her purse. "Bella left these for you," she said, looking at me and Vren. "She made me promise to give them to you."

Her face broke into yet the most heartbreaking expression I ever saw. I couldn't help but hug her once more.

"You really remind me of Bella." Tita Ivana was now in tears again. "It's a shame you only had the chance to meet her until lately. You could've been good friends."

"Ivana..." Sir Arkin tried to calm his wife down, patting her gently on the back.

"Tita, maybe Mira and I should..." Vren gestured to the space in front of us.

"Of course, hijo," Tita Ivana agreed.

Vren and I walked together to see Bella for the last time. Vren shared with me on our way here that Bella only wanted one night of wake before having her body cremated — she ardently made her parents promise to do so.

She looked so peaceful, and if I focus on her face long enough to block out the square of glass separating her from us, I could imagine her just sleeping. If there is one thing death failed to claim from Bella, it was her beauty.

When I got the chance, I started to read her letter, wondering what Bella's last words for me could be.

****

Dear Mira,

I don't know why but the first time I saw you with Andrei at Hollier's homecoming event, I felt something — it's as if I've known you for a long time. Yes, I know it's weird, but I think it's the reason why I never felt any grudge toward you, despite you being the woman who holds my Andrei's heart now.