22: Vren

"Oh, my goodness! There you are!" Nang makita ni Vira na papasok ako sa mansion habang akay-akay ang kanyang mga anak ay agad siyang tumakbo para yakapin ang mga ito.

After a few minutes of fussing over her kids, my sister gave me a deadly glare and shrieked, "What the hell, Vren Andrei? Were you trying to give me a heart attack? Bakit 'di mo man lang sinabi sa akin na ilalabas mo ang mga bata? I thought they were kidnapped!"

"I wasn't trying to give you a heart attack – just a minor freak-out. That's what you get for acting rude towards my girlfriend," I replied, laughing to infuriate her further. It gave me a savage pleasure, knowing that Vira was going crazy as she looked for her kids. Meanwhile, Juli and Miggie were having a great time with their Uncle Vren, Aunt Mira, and Uncle Myron.

"¡Eres un idiota! I'll make sure that our parents will know about this nasty act of yours!"

"Adelante. You think that would scare me?" I grinned. "Besides, don't you think you're too old to be a tattletale?"

"¡Que te den!" she hissed in a low voice, taking care that her children didn't hear. "Now, get lost before I kick your partes íntimas. Good luck having kids of your own after I do it."

Humagalpak lang ako ng tawa matapos ang pagbabanta niya. I really love getting a rise out of Vira.

"Adiós, mi amada hermana." I gave my sister a mocking salute before heading again to the door. "It's been a pleasure to ruin your day."

****

Back at my place, I was just about to retire for the night when I received an unexpected call. The number wasn't in my contacts, either, so I was hesitant to pick it up. Pero naalala ko na nabanggit sa akin ng kanang-kamay ko sa Medialink na si Leimar na may plano siyang magpalit ng contact number, kaya naman sinagot ko ang tawag.

"Hi. Is this Leimar –"

My question was cut short when the caller spoke, in a soft voice that was definitely not Leimar's. "Hello, Andrei."

All trace of drowsiness left me. I know that voice. In fact, try as I might, I would never forget it.

Utterly taken aback, the only response I was able to form was an incredulous, "Isabella?"

There was a light laugh from the other line. "Glad you still recognize my voice over the phone."

"I – I didn't..." Jesus. Get a grip, Vren Andrei. "Look. I don't want to be rude, but what the actual fuck are you calling me for? And how did you even get my number?"

"Well..." I could sense her hesitation. "I know this is a crazy request, but is there any chance that you'd come and see me tonight at Café Isabella?"

I laughed without humor. "Seriously? I'm not in a mood for a catch-up."

"Andrei, I know you're still mad at me for what I did, and rightly so. But please, just hear me out. Hindi naman kita aabalahin kung hindi importante ang sasabihin ko sa'yo."

"Whatever that is, find someone else to confide in. I don't have any interest in hearing what you want to tell me, Isabella. And I'd appreciate it if you will never contact me again."

"But, Andrei –"

"Goodbye, Isabella." I ended the call.

After tossing my phone on the bed as if it was something poisonous, I tried to master myself. I felt like I just ran a marathon. My hands were shaking, and my head was starting to pound, signaling an incoming headache.

Nice try, Isabella. But I'm never wasting my time on you again.

****

"Are you sure you're not the one who gave that woman my number? I called everyone in Grey Light. They all said no as well."

I'm on my way to Medialink, talking to my brother on loudspeaker as I drove. If it's Vince who provided Isabella my contact number, I'm going to kill him.

"Bro, I swear, wala akong kinalaman diyan," Vince insisted from the other line. "Bakit ko naman ibibigay kay Isabella ang number mo? Ni hindi na nga kami nagkikita ng ex mo."

"Really? Kahit na katapat lang ng ospital mo ang café niya? She could've easily walked in there to talk to you."

My brother groaned. "Jesus, Vren Andrei. Bakit ba ayaw mong maniwala sa akin? For the last time, I did not give your number to Isabella. Takot ko lang na upakan mo ulit ako. Mahal ko pa ang buhay ko."

"Alright, I believe you. Sorry," I finally relented. "Do you think I should change my number? Mahirap na. Baka i-track pa ako ng babaeng 'yon, now that she already knows it."

"Yeah, I think you should. For your peace of mind," pagsang-ayon ni Vince. Then I heard him address someone. "Hey, that was a nurse," he said after a few beats. "I really hate to break this conversation, but I need to go. May isinugod daw sa ER."

"Okay. Do your thing, Doc."

"If you want, we can talk again about this whole Isabella thing," my brother offered. "I'll give you a call after my shift here at AMMC is over."

"That would be great. Thanks." With that, I ended the call.

Bumuntonghininga ako habang inaalala ang usapan namin ni Vince. I hated having to point my finger at my brother, pero hindi niya rin ako masisisi kung bakit pinagdudahan ko siya. Like I said, my ex-girlfriend's eponymous business, Café Isabella, was just right across Ayala-Montevilla Medical Center, the family-owned hospital that Vince manages. It would be really easy for Isabella to march right up to my brother and demand from him whatever detail about me that she wanted to know.

In fact, it was Vince who suggested that Café Isabella should be built on the spacious, then-empty lot just across his hospital. Kaka-graduate pa lang namin noon mula sa college, at napagpasyahan namin ng noon ay girlfriend ko pang si Isabella na itayo ang coffee shop/resto bilang aming "first baby".

Nang makipaghiwalay siya sa akin, hinayaan ko na lang kay Isabella ang pamamalakad sa negosyong sabay naming ipinundar. I didn't even bother claiming my ownership share before walking away from the partnership.

That traitor of a woman could have it for herself, for all I care.