74: Vren

I didn't return home after dropping Mira at the dela Merced residence. Instead, I proceeded to my own place and gave Vince a call right after I arrived.

He picked up on the second ring. "Hey, bro."

"Hey bro your face," I said, my voice full of sarcasm. "What the heck happened back at home? Mira's already suspicious — even Mom and Dad were dropping hints. Did you tell them about my plan?"

My words only earned a laugh from my brother, much to my irritation. "It was Vira. Wala akong kasalanan, bro."

"You're at fault too, you idiot. Dapat pinigilan mong dumaldal si Vira. Now it won't be a surprise to Mira anymore," I said, indignant.

"Quit overacting, Vren. We both know Mira. Even the littlest things surprise her," Vince replied in a pacifying tone. "Besides, dropping hints will definitely give her something to look forward to. Baka isipin ng girlfriend mo, wala kang balak na iharap siya sa altar. Sige ka, maghahanap ng iba 'yon."

"That's not how it works! Dropping hints spoils everything!" I insisted.

"What, you're going to kill Vira then?" He laughed again. "Everything's said and done, after all."

"Tell Vira not to show her face to me anytime soon. I'll definitely murder her."

Vince was still chuckling, evidently enjoying my dilemma. "I'll pass Vira your death threat, don't worry."

"Good," I replied. "Bro?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you really think I should ask her?" I asked, having calmed down considerably. My brother's right — maybe I was overreacting. Now that I think about it, giving Mira something to look forward to sounded like a good plan.

"Of course." Vince was all encouragement. "Maayos na naman ang lahat. Why make her wait longer? Unless there's something else that's holding you back?"

"Nothing," I said, all my doubts melting away. "Here's our plan, then."

****

To: Myron Custodio

Hey, li'l bro. I need your help with something.

To: Ervic Buenviejo, Francis Lee, Gabe Regalado, Xander La Vista

Blue Cavern tomorrow, 10 PM. Remember when I told you the wedding talk will be later?

To: Mavi Alegre

Hey, Mavi. Do you mind being my sidekick again in surprising Mira?

To: Hannah Marvilla

The truth is out, Ms. Marvilla. You and Vince are officially together, huh? By the way, I need your help.

To: Alexia Pinpin

Alexia, will you help me with something? And no, it's not about learning how to kiss the proper way. Stop being gross.