12: Vren

Thank God the talent show was over — Alexia's version of the song "Let It Go" from Frozen was horrible and totally ruined Mavi's excellent piano rendition. Even the kids had to clap their hands over their ears.

To let the little ones recover from this trauma, we decided to do the gift-giving next alongside the picnic. Excited na binuksan ng mga bata ang mga natanggap nilang regalo mula sa amin. Those of us who weren't tasked to distribute the gifts were busy setting up the picnic mats over the grassy lawn of the open area.

"Ate Mira! Ang ganda ng nakuha kong regalo. Storybook!" Celine, one of the orphans, squealed as she unwrapped her gift.

"Wow! Patingin nga?" Mira matched the excitement in Celine's tone. "Uy, The Little Mermaid! Ang ganda niya, 'no?" My girlfriend started to flip through the pages of Hans Christian Andersen's classic story. "Gusto mo basahin ko para sa'yo?"

To Mira's delight, Celine showed her her toothy smile. "Sige po!"

I found myself grinning as I witnessed Mira's funny attempt to give the characters different voices as she read the story. Si Celine naman, tuwang-tuwa dahil nakakita siya ng buhay na libro sa katauhan ng kanyang Ate Mira. Pati ang ibang mga bata ay tumigil na rin sa pagkain at nakisali na rin sa pakikinig kay Mirathea the Storyteller.

From the looks of it, and as I've said earlier, Mira will make a good mother.

Oh, come on. I'm allowed to imagine my future family, am I not? After all, 'yon din naman ang patutunguhan namin ni Mira. When the right time comes, we'll have our own family.

I started to drift away as I stared at the happy sight of Mira and the kids huddled around her.

****

"Andrei, I want to get married a few years after college. Is that okay with you?" I smiled as I watched her lips form the words, her face dangerously close to mine.

"Of course. As long as my request of having ten kids is fine with you," I teased.

"Ten?" she repeated, eyes wide. "Alright. Gusto ko rin naman na magkaroon ng maraming anak. Being an only child could be lonely at times. Mabuti ka nga, may mga kapatid ka."

"Sabi mo 'yan, ha?" I grinned. "I'm sure you'll make a good mother."

She mustered a soft laugh. "I hope so."

Feeling light and happy, I stared to tickle her.

"Andrei, stop!" she shrieked in between laughs.

I ignored her and tickled her some more, only stopping no'ng halos hindi na siya makahinga sa kakatawa.

"You're a jerk," she declared, hitting me on the arm jokingly.

I pulled her in for a hug. "I love you, Bella." I closed my eyes, taking in her sweet vanilla scent.

"I love you too, Andrei," she replied, her lips curving into a smile against my chest.

****

"Vren Andrei Montevilla! Bakit tulala ka riyan?"

"Ow! What did you hit me for?"

I scowled at Mira, rubbing the throbbing spot on my arm. Minsan talaga, hindi ko maisip kung bakit nagustuhan ko ang babaeng 'to.

She laughed. "Kanina pa kasi kita tinatawag, pero hindi ka man lang kumikibo. Napaano ka?"

"Sorry. I — I just remembered something."

Giving me a curious look, she asked, "Work-related ba 'yan? Naku, hanggang dito ba naman, dala-dala mo ang trabaho?"