40: Vren

I just returned to Medialink after meeting a potential client over lunch, and since it's already past the allotted midday break for employees when I arrived, I encountered only a handful of people at the lobby. One of them was a middle-aged man, clad in blue polo and carrying a bouquet of pink roses. He spoke with our receptionist, got issued a visitor's ID, and walked towards the elevator — right where I was headed, too.

"Good afternoon po, sir," the man greeted me politely as I assumed the spot beside him.

"Good afternoon," I acknowledged him back with a smile. "Is that a delivery?"

The man nodded. "Para po sa isang department head."

"I see," sagot ko naman na may kasama ring pagtango.

Sa puntong iyon ay bumukas na ang elevator. Pinauna ko nang pumasok ang lalaki, na nagpasalamat naman sa akin. I followed suit, and since no one else was waiting for a lift apart from us, I pressed the door close button once I was inside.

Muli kong sinulyapan ang dalang bouquet ng delivery man. It must be for Hannah — I knew my brother was fond of surprising the woman he dates with random deliveries. I suppressed a grin as I made a mental note to commend Vince on his courting skills the next time we meet.

We reached the floor where both the Accounting and Marketing departments were located, and as expected, the delivery man stepped out of the elevator. Naiwan naman ako dahil ilang palapag pa ang pagitan nito sa destinasyon ko.

Should I surprise Mira with some flowers, too? I thought, smiling at the mental image of my girlfriend blushing like crazy after receiving a bouquet of pink tulips — her favorite — from me.

****

When I finally reached my office, I made the mistake of telling Lally about the delivery man, as well as my hunch that the bouquet was for Hannah, courtesy of my brother.

"Wow, ang swerte naman ni Ma'am Hannah!" my secretary exclaimed before sighing dreamily. "Ako kaya, kailan makakatanggap ng bouquet of flowers? Baka gusto mo pong tuparin ang pangarap kong mapadalhan ng mga bulaklak, Sir Vren?"

"Jesus, Lally. Quit daydreaming," I deadpanned. "Nakalimutan mo yatang may girlfriend na ako."

"Napakasuplado talaga," she mumbled. "Nagbibiro lang po ako, sir. Sige po, balik na ako sa table ko. Tawagin mo na lang po ako kapag may kailangan ka. Ganoon naman po lagi ang nangyayari, 'di ba? Naaalala mo lang po ako kapag kailangan mo ng tulong."

What the heck?

"Lally —" I began, but my secretary cut me off.

"'Wag ka nang magpaliwanag, Sir Vren. Sanay na po ako." She sniffed. "Matagal na akong umaasa, nangangarap na mapansin mo. Pero pagod na ako. Hindi ko na kayang maghintay pa. Sino nga ba naman ako — isang hamak na sekretaryang nagngangalang Lally Dimaguiba — para pag-aksayahan ng panahon ng isang Vren Andrei Montevilla?"

"Lally!" I half-yelled, torn between the urge to laugh and the desire to stuff Lally's mouth with my handkerchief to make her stop. "What on earth are you talking about?"

But to my exasperation, my silly secretary seemed to be on a roll. Ni hindi man lang siya natinag at sa halip ay nagtuluy-tuloy pa sa pagsasalita.

"Napakaswerte talaga ni Ma'am Mira." Muling bumuntonghininga si Lally. "Pero hayaan mo po, Sir Vren. Kahit hindi mo ako pinapahalagahan, hindi pa rin kita iiwan. Hindi pa rin po ako magsasawang alalayan ka, gabayan ka, saluhin ang mga hindi mo napupuntahang meeting, harapin ang mga pinagtataguan mong ex-girlfriend..."

"Lally!" This time, I shouted with all my might. "Get a grip, for God's sake."

Mukha namang natauhan na ang sekretarya ko dahil sa lakas ng pagsigaw ko. "Ito na nga po, sir, lalabas na ng opisina mo. Hehe." She flashed me the peace sign. "If you need me po, just call my name, and I'll be there."

Shaking my head, I watched as Lally exited my office. Once alone, I started reviewing the stack of business proposals sitting on my desk, pending approval.

****

After a couple of hours spent reviewing proposals, signing documents, and attending an urgent meeting, I decided to take a quick break from work and head to the nearest flower shop.

If Hannah received a surprise bouquet from Vince, I'm not letting the day end without Mira receiving one from me.

After all, I still wanted to make it up to my girlfriend, after our misunderstanding concerning Bella. Kailangang maramdaman ni Mira na wala siyang dapat ipagselos, dahil talagang kaibigan na lang ang tingin ko sa ex ko.

Of course, Bella was still a part of my life, and that would never change. Our relationship, however badly it ended, still counted as something. Kaya nga kahit parang malabo na ay ipinagdarasal ko pa rin na malagpasan niya ang sakit niya. But saying that I was helping her out of romantic love? That's absurd.

Only one woman holds my heart — Mira.

I parked my Audi in front of La Fleur, entered the shop, and was instantly greeted by the overwhelming mix of floral scents. Good thing I wasn't allergic, 'cause if I were, then I'd already be sneezing and wheezing for sure.

"Hi. I'd like a dozen pink tulips in your best arrangement," I told the woman manning the counter before handing her my credit card.

"Right away, sir," she replied with a polite smile.

Hindi nagtagal ay palabas na ako ng flower shop, dala ang isang dosena ng paboritong bulaklak ni Mira. I remember asking my girlfriend why she prefers pink tulips above all other flowers, and she explained that she likes what they represent — perfect happiness.

How fitting, I thought with a grin. Perfect happiness... exactly what I want Mira to always feel.

****

People must have thought I was going crazy, smiling from ear to ear as I made my way to Mira's office, but I was too excited to care. Hindi na ako makapaghintay na makita ang reaksyon ng girlfriend ko kapag ibinigay ko sa kanya ang bouquet na hawak ko. Mira, bless her, was a sucker for random romantic gestures.

I pushed the door to her office open, expecting to see her immersed in work.

But instead, I was greeted by the sight of Mira, seated on her swivel chair, gazing dreamily at a bouquet of pink roses on her table. The smile melted off my face when I realized it was the same bouquet delivered by the middle-aged man I boarded the elevator with earlier.

It wasn't sent by Vince to Hannah, after all, I thought, feeling like a complete idiot. I should've known, though. They were pink Mira's favorite color for crying out loud.

I couldn't recall how long I was standing wordlessly by the door before Mira took notice of me. When she finally did, she gave a start and, eyes wide with guilt, swatted the bouquet with her hand. The flowers fell on the floor, just as she had intended, but too late — I already saw them.

"Vren!" she exclaimed. "Kanina ka pa ba riyan?"

"Hey," I said, devoid of all the enthusiasm I felt just moments ago. "Those are nice flowers. It's a shame you suddenly felt the need to throw them down the floor."

Mira's face flooded with color. She tried to say something, but for once, my loquacious girlfriend found herself at a loss for words.

Brows furrowed, I finally entered her office and walked towards the spot where the bouquet of pink roses fell. I knelt on one knee and picked it up, then opened the card attached to it.

To the beautiful lady who never fails to cross my mind. Hope to see you soon, Mira. Chase

Hurt written all over my face, I glanced up, just in time to see Mira's gaze land on the bouquet of pink tulips I was holding.

"Para sa akin ba 'yan?" she asked in a soft voice.

Sa halip na sagutin siya ay tumayo ako at kaagad na tumalikod para lumabas na mula sa kanyang opisina.

But before pushing the door open, I gave her one final look and said, "Nope, these aren't for you. They're for Lally."