66: Vren

That feeling you get when the person you've been missing so bad and thinking about every single minute suddenly opens your office door? Surreal.

"Mira." I swallowed nervously. "Are you here to break up with me?"

My girlfriend sighed. "Wag kang OA, Vren Andrei. Break up agad?"

"Sorry. It's just that... you look like someone who's about to deliver bad news."

The corners of Mira's mouth twitched. "Wow. Ganoon na ba talaga ako ka-haggard?"

"That's not what I meant," I amended quickly. "I only —"

"Vren," Mira began, cutting me off. "Walang mangyayaring break-up, okay? Nandito lang ako para kausapin ka."

"No break-up... yet?"

"No break-up. Period."

I couldn't help but give her a grin, which only became wider when she did the same. I rose from my seat, walked up to her spot, and finally said, "Thank God. Let's get out of here, then."

****

"Hey," I began cautiously once Mira and I were out of Medialink. "I'm sorry about... you know."

I never knew that talking to someone you hold the closest to your heart could be this difficult. Ang hirap pala ng pakiramdam na bawat salitang bibitiwan mo ay ingat na ingat ka. My relationship with Mira still hung precariously — just one wrong word I utter could make the situation go from bad to worse.

"Bakit ka naman nagso-sorry?" Mira raised her brows. "Sorry dahil may anak kayo ni Ate Bella?"

I gave her an almost imperceptible nod. "I'm sorry that I would never be your ideal man again. Most people will think that me having a son makes me less deserving of you. Ganoon naman lagi, 'di ba? One imperfection comes to light, and all the good in a person become forgotten."

Mira sighed. "Ako ang dapat humingi ng pasensya sa'yo, Vren. I'm sorry that you had to think of you being a father as an imperfection. Hindi totoo 'yan. Oo, aaminin kong nahirapan akong tanggapin na may anak ka na. Pero hindi naman nabawasan ang pagmamahal ko sa'yo dahil doon. Naguluhan lang talaga ako... May anak ka sa ibang babae na nagkataong kapatid ko pala. Kahit sino naman siguro, ganoon din ang magiging reaksyon kung nasa sitwasyon ko sila."

"I understand, of course. And if I could undo that night, I would. But that's impossible, and that leaves me with no choice but to deal with its consequence. I have a son, and now more than ever, he needs me." I paused and allowed myself a sad smile. "You're the one who's free to decide here, Mira. Are you still willing to be with me now that Zac is in the picture? It pains me to say this, but I won't stop you if you choose to walk away. I love you so much that I don't want you to feel shackled in a relationship you no longer believe would work."

Minutes of agonizing silence followed. My girlfriend and I just stared into each others' eyes, trying to wordlessly convey the myriad of feelings I knew we both felt.

Until finally, she said, "I'm willing to stay, Vren."

"You are?" I asked, not daring to believe what I just heard until Mira affirms it. And affirm it with a nod she did.

I chuckled, out of relief more than anything else. Then, in a playful tone, I added, "Think of it again, Mira, 'cause once you decide to stay, I'm warning you — there will be no more escape from me."

Siya naman ngayon ang tumawa. "Grabe. Babakuran mo na talaga ako, ha?"

"Of course. I'd be a fool not to. So...?"