64: Vren

I eventually ended up visiting my Thinking Place.

I discovered it when I was fourteen — I acted like a jerk towards Vince, which caused a fight between me and my brother, and I figured I had to get out of the house to escape Dad's wrath. It's this abandoned building a few blocks away from our family home, which at first glance looked creepy, as most deserted places do. But if you know where to situate yourself, it could be a very good spot to mull things over.

It's been a long time since I visited it, but the building remained as desolate as ever. Even the wooden bench that fourteen-year-old Vren built was still in its usual spot, unmoved. How it survived years and years of neglect, I had no idea.

Nevertheless, I took a seat on it and heaved the heaviest sigh I could muster. Almost immediately, Mira's face came into mind.

I still can't believe my life had changed in the blink of an eye. Suddenly, I have a six-year-old son to take care of, and after everything Mira and I endured, we now risk losing each other as a result of the momentous secrets we just learned.

Minutes of defeaning silence passed.

Maybe I could arrange for my girlfriend to meet my son. Maybe she'd find it easier to accept him once they've bonded...

Today's humid, and soon, drops of sweat had drenched my face. I fished my handkerchief out of my pocket and was about to wipe my forehead when I heard the sound of approaching footsteps.

I froze.

"Hello?" I called out. "Is anybody there?"

I got no answer, but the sound of footsteps didn't cease. I don't really think of myself as a scaredy-cat, but as I was inside an abandoned building and the sun's starting to go down, my level of bravery admittedly took a hit.

Alright, Vren. Time to get out of this creepy place.

I stood up and turned around, already prepared to walk out of the building as fast as I could, when I finally saw the owner of the footsteps that scared the wits out of me.

"Alexia? Damn it. Ikaw lang pala 'yan."

"Why, hello there, Papa Vren!" My girlfriend's silly gay friend giggled. "Hindi ko naman akalaing magkikita tayo rito. Did I scare you?"

"Scare me? You wish!" I replied indignantly, despite having been on the verge of running away just a moment ago. "What the fuck are you doing here, anyway?"

"Nandito ako para mag-treasure hunting," Alexia proudly replied.

"Treasure hunting? You've got to be kidding me. Walang nakabaong kayamanan dito, Mr. Pinpin."

"Hmm, mukha nga. Kanina pa ako pagala-gala rito pero wala naman akong napapala." He raised his right hand slightly, which held what seemed to be a metal detector. "Joke time lang yata ang nabasa kong treasure hunting blog. Chaka!"

I gave him a you-are-such-an-idiot look.

"E ikaw, Papa Vren... anong ginagawa mo rito?"

I sighed. "I'm here to think."

Alexia raised a brow. "At bakit sa isang abandonadong building ka pa kailangang magmuni-muni, Mr. Montevilla? Don't tell me na hindi na naman kayo okay ni Mirathea? Hindi ko siya nakita sa office buong araw, at ngayon naman, masasaktuhan kitang nag-e-emote dito?"

I debated whether to tell him about my dilemma or not, but in the end, I realized I badly needed someone to talk to right now. Pagtitiyagaan ko na munang kausapin ang isang 'to.