28: Vren

I was walking back to my office, having met with a member of Medialink's board of directors beforehand, when I saw Isabella getting out of the elevator.

"Holy shit," I said in a startled whisper. "What is she doing here?"

I knew it – hindi magtatagal at sasadyain ako ni Isabella dito sa trabaho ko.

Should I talk to her?

No, not here. Baka makita kami ni Mira.

I hurried back to the direction I came from, hoping and praying that my ex-girlfriend didn't see me. Soon, I found myself looking at the set of stairs that would take me to the building's rooftop.

"Ah, damn it," I cursed under my breath. "Am I really going to do this?"

Apparently, I was. Just hearing the sound of footsteps from the end of the hallway was enough to get me climbing up the stairs. If that was Isabella coming to look for me, then she's out of luck.

Bahala na kung anong oras ako makababa mula sa tuktok ng building na 'to. I will not get back in here – not with Isabella still lurking outside my office.

****

I received a handful of messages from Lally, asking where I was, but I didn't bother sending her a reply. Even after reading her text, stating that a certain Isabella de la Merced was looking for me, I pretended to be too busy to respond. Besides, what would I tell her? Na nasa rooftop ako ngayon dahil pinagtataguan ko ang ex-girlfriend ko?

After spending nearly an hour staring into the distance, enjoying the peace at my hiding place and letting the rush of wind carry my restlessness away, I finally received another message from Lally. This time, it was to report that my unexpected visitor had finally decided to leave the company premises, after being told multiple times that no one knew where I was, and it seemed that I won't be returning to my office anytime soon.

"And that's my cue." I stood up, dusted off the seat of my pants with my hands, and started my descend from Medialink's rooftop. Sa wakas, makakabalik na ako sa opisina ko.

****

On our way home from work, I learned that Mira knew about Isabella's attempt to meet with me, all thanks to my secretary. And just when I was finally readying myself to tell my girlfriend about my former flame who, for some reason, wanted to reconnect with me, I received a phone call from my dear brother.

Ang galing talagang manira ng momentum ni Dr. Vince Allen Montevilla.

At dahil nasira na ang buwelo ko, hindi ko na nagawang ituloy pa ang pagsabi kay Mira tungkol sa ex-girlfriend ko at sa kagustuhan nitong makipag-usap sa akin. And even better, her curiosity about Isabella was short-lived, too. Natalo ng antok ang pagtataka ni Mira kung sino ba talaga ang babaeng bigla na lamang pumunta sa opisina ko para sana makipagkita sa akin.

Just as I promised, I woke my girlfriend up from her nap once we reached her apartment.

"Wake up, sleepyhead." I gave her arm a couple of gentle pats. "You're already home."

A yawn, a stretch of her arms... Finally, Mira was back from the land of dreams. "Nandito na agad tayo? Ang ganda pa ng panaginip ko, e."

"I'm sorry for interrupting what I'm sure is a lovely dream." I chuckled before getting out of my Audi to open the door for her. She stepped out of the car with a giggle.

"Salamat sa paghatid." She kissed me on the cheek. "Ingat ka sa pag-uwi."

"See you tomorrow." I grinned. "As usual."