6: Vren

The first thing I did upon arriving at work today was, of course, check my email. You know, your typical workaholic's routine.

It had become a little game for me, predicting the number of unread mails in my inbox every morning. Today, my guess was seven.

But apart from two emails — one updating me on the status of Medialink's Canada annex, and another detailing a possible partnership with a local communications company — I didn't see any other unread message.

Huh. So this morning's got a low count, Vren, I thought with a smirk.

I replied to the two messages and was about to call Lally, my secretary, to ask if I have commitments that need attending to today, when a new message made its way to my inbox, sent by a Francis Lee.

Seeing the name immediately brought a frown to my face. I only know of one guy named such, and it's been years since I've spoken to him. Could it be the same person?

Feeling apprehensive, I clicked the message open.

To: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com
From: francislee@globalprojects.com

Hey, Vren. Got your work email from a colleague. Hope it's okay that I contacted you here. I've been trying to call your mobile, pero mukhang nagpalit ka na ng number.

I paused from reading the message, scoffing. It's true that I switched to a new contact number, and it's actually because of my desire to cut ties with several people, Francis included.

Anyway, I'm writing to let you know that Hollier will be having an alumni homecoming soon — I'm part of the organizing committee. Details are still being finalized, but the tentative date is next month, on the 5th. Is there any chance you could come? Matutuwa ang barkada kapag pumunta ka. It's been a couple of years since we last saw you.

Let me know if you're interested to attend the event.

Francis

So, it really is the same Francis Lee — one my college buddies. And what did he write me for, to invite me to a stupid event?

Ha! Nice try, Francis. But I would rather spend twenty-four hours inside my office, than attend that reunion.

****

"A reunion? OMG, Vren! Um-attend ka, ha?" Mira tugged at my sleeve, looking excited.

I knew it — telling my girlfriend about Francis' invitation was a mistake.

"I don't plan to attend it, Ms. Custodio," I answered impassively. "Sayang lang ang oras ko."

"Ang KJ naman nito," she muttered. Then, in her normal voice, "Sige na, pumunta ka na! Kailangan mo ring mag-unwind paminsan-minsan."

"Oh, believe me. That reunion is the last thing I should attend if I'm looking for a chance to unwind." I chuckled bitterly.

"At bakit naman?" Mira's hands were now on her hips — a telltale sign that she's ready for an argument.

I sighed. "I don't want to talk about it, okay?"

My girlfriend rolled her eyes. "Ayan ka na naman sa pagiging secretive mo. Come on, Vren. You can tell me everything."

"There's no huge secret to tell, Mira. I just don't give a damn about Francis, or any of my other college friends, anymore. Hence, there's no use in attending the reunion."

"Kahit na si Francis na ang unang nag-reach out sa'yo?" she demanded. "Maayos kang iniimbita ng tao, Mr. Montevilla. Don't be such a snob."

"I'm not being a snob just for the sake of it," I countered her. "Those people..." I trailed off. "You know what? I don't see why I should explain myself. I'm still not going to the event, and that's on that."

Mira glared at me. "Alam mo Vren, kailangan mo ring ilagay sa lugar ang kasupladuhan mo."

And before I could even respond, she turned her back on me and marched out of my office, leaving me gaping like an idiot.

What the... did Mira and I just fight over a stupid reunion?

****

"Vince, what do you want?" After a meeting with the board, I was back in my office, talking to my brother — after fifteen missed calls from him, that is. Narindi na lang ako sa paulit-ulit na pagtunog ng phone ko. I would've turned the thing off, if only I weren't expecting a call from one of our business partners.

"Hey, Vren," Vince replied from the other line. "Bakit ngayon mo lang sinagot ang tawag ko?"

"I'm not in the mood to talk to you, that's why."

"Wow. That's harsh." My brother chuckled. "Ate Vira called me, by the way. Sasama raw siya pauwi kina Mom at Dad."

"You called me just to report Vira's return? For fuck's sake, Vince."

"Bakit mainit yata ang ulo mo, bro?" Muling tumawa si Vince. Kung hindi lang ako nangako sa girlfriend ko na susubukan kong ayusin ang pakikitungo sa kuya ko, kanina ko pa binabaan ng tawag ang loko.

After I returned from Canada, Vince apologized for our fight that caused me to leave in the first place. And we've been trying to mend our sibling relationship ever since. Which was, of course, fine with me... except I now have to endure having a chatty doctor as a big brother. I prefer my peaceful life before, to be honest.

"Sir Vren?" My secretary thankfully chose that moment to enter my office. I motioned to her with my hand, asking her to give me a moment.

"Vince, I have to go," I told my brother. "Let's talk about Vira some other time."

Vince replied assent and bid me goodbye. I ended the call.

"What's up, Lally?"

"May naghahanap po sa inyo. Francis Lee raw po ang pangalan."

"What?" I stared at her in surprise. "Francis is here?"

"Ah, so kilala niyo nga po siya! Akala ko, charot niya lang na friends kayo." Tumawa si Lally. "Ano sir, papapasukin ko po ba si Mr. Lee?"

I exhaled dejectedly. "Fine. Let him in."

****

"Vren! Long time no see, bro." Francis patted me on the shoulder, and I struggled to hide a wince. "Kumusta na?"

"I'm doing good," I replied without enthusiasm. "What brought you here, Francis?"

"I met a client earlier. Nagkataong malapit lang ang Medialink sa office nila, kaya naisipan na kitang bisitahin." Francis grinned. "So... you're coming! That was a quick decision on your part. I'm surprised — I thought you'll need some time to make up your mind."

I frowned, aware that the conversation took an unexpected turn.

"I already told our friends that you're attending the reunion," Francis continued. "They're excited to see you again."

"Excuse me? You told them what?"

"That you're attending the reunion," he repeated. "Tuwang-tuwa nga ang barkada, e."

What the fuck is Francis talking about? I didn't even reply to his email!

"I'm sorry, I think there's been a misunderstanding —" I began, only to be cut off when Francis spoke again.

"It's so nice of your girlfriend to tell me about it, by the way." He chuckled. "Masyado ka raw busy kaya siya na lang ang nag-confirm para sa'yo. Mira said you're really looking forward to reunite with the old gang."

My surprise gave way to comprehension. Sino pa nga ba ang tanging may lakas ng loob na ilagay ako sa sitwasyong iniiwas-iwasan ko? Only Mirathea Custodio had the guts to do that.

"Paano, bro? I need to get back to work. Talagang dumaan lang ako rito para pasalamatan ka sa pag-confirm ng attendance mo sa event." I was barely listening to Francis at this point. "Wait for the final details of the reunion — I'll email them to you soon. Bring Mira as your date, okay?"

Francis gave me another friendly pat on the shoulder before heading out of my office, leaving me to think of the best words to use when I chastise my intervening girlfriend.