50: Vren

Not that it's any of my business, but I'm willing to bet any amount of money — Bella was the reason why Stupid Chase was here in AMMC.

The moment Mira and I ran into him, I felt an unmistakable itch to punch that idiot right on the face. I still hadn't forgiven him for daring to send Mira some flowers, despite knowing full well that she's in a relationship.

Kung hindi ba naman nananadya ang gago.

And of course, it didn't help that for a reason still unknown to me, he's also acquainted with Bella. It somehow created the illusion that my world just got a whole lot smaller, and it's suffocating. Everywhere I go, it seemed that Stupid Chase was there, too.

I wanted to blast the guy into pieces. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for Mira having managed to calm me down, I would've already rearranged his facial features with a well-aimed jab.

'Wag lang akong subukang muli ng lalaking 'yon, dahil baka hindi na talaga ako makapagpigil.

****

Bella was fast asleep when Mira and I entered her room. The first thing I noticed was how quickly she was losing weight. Her face was a lot slimmer, compared to how it was the last time I visited her. And although I'd never dare to say it out loud, it was apparent that cancer was mercilessly draining the life out of her.

I had a difficult time thinking of the listless figure lying in this hospital bed as the same woman who I used to be head over heels in love with. Ghostly pale face, thinning hair, frail body — leukemia was clearly out to steal Isabella Lira dela Merced's angelic beauty.

I sighed. Seeing Bella like this, it's hard to believe she could still be saved by anything short of a miracle. It's sad, because setting aside the fact that she's been an unfaithful girlfriend to me, she's still a good person overall. She certainly didn't deserve this kind of fate.

Sometimes, life can be so cruel and unfair.

Mabuti na nga lang at nakauwi na rito ang mga magulang niya, kaya hindi na rin ako masyadong mag-aalala para kay Bella. I knew Vince and his staff were doing their best to take care of her, and for that I'm thankful, but they could only do so much. Hindi lang naman kasi ang ex ko ang pasyente rito sa ospital na kailangan nilang intindihin, kaya iba pa rin talaga na may nakatutok sa pag-aalaga at pag-aasikaso sa kanya. And seeing how Bella's their only child, Tita Ivana and Tito Arkin would surely want to do it themselves.

When Bella had finally awaken, I told her about my epic birthday party, in the hopes of bringing some positivity into her day. At mukha namang nag-enjoy nga siya sa kwentuhan — her constant laughter and smiles were enough evidence. Sa tingin ko ay nakadagdag pa sa tuwa niya na kahit si Mira ay nakisali na rin sa usapan. Bella was worried that her reappearance in my life would cause trouble between me and my girlfriend, and while it did for a short time, the hatchet was clearly buried by now. And it felt good on my part to see these two important women in my life finally getting along.

When I mentioned my sister's name during our birthday party talk, Bella got a bit wistful. "Oh, I miss Ate Vira. I wish she'd visit me."

"Don't worry," I told her. "I'll remind her to drop by. She's been meaning to, actually."

"Baka isama niya pa sina Miggie at Juli," sabi naman ni Mira. "Makikilala mo na ang mga pamangkin ni Vren."

"I can't wait to meet them. I'm sure they're both lovely little angels," Bella remarked with a small smile. Then she got this strange, faraway look in her eyes.

"Are you okay, Bella?" I asked in concern. "Is something bothering you? Are you in pain?"

"N-no. I'm fine," she said, coming back to her senses. "May naalala lang ako."