Things (Laing)

A/N: FINALLLLYYYY I get to write the finale to this miniseries I've written with the Laing stories. I've got to say, I love that film, like I love everything he does hahaha. 

As I walked around the apartment, I picked up on the tiniest little details. I made sure not to throughout a lot of Robert's stuff I still kept after we broke up. I remember always looking through the cabinet in my bathroom and finding his deodorant can. I look through the mug cupboard and see his favourite collecting dust under the recently used ones.

Then, I used to feel sad when I saw his things lingering untouched things, reminiscing about the good times before he walked out on us. Now... I see the mug with tea and coffee stains, waiting to be washed all the times. And empty cans building up on the high rise's deserted car park. I see these things and smile.

--------

I wait on the collapsing bed frame as Robert cooks the dog outside. I hear him talking to himself and I put down the book I was reading and pay more attention to his words.

"You poor building... you catalyst for insanity. You're like a lie detector, getting the true identities and faults out of people without them knowing it... Y/n... I wish I were married to you; I wish I didn't walk away. I know you forgave me, but you drive me more insane than this building. It's a good thing obviously but, God... I guess I'm just a stickler for tradition. I want to be legally yours and I want you to be legally mine too. She's amazing, strong, and passionate. Her touch is so warm it heats you up on a chilly winters day. I love her."

While I listen to him, I get up off the bed and walk to the doorway leading to the terrace. I watch as he starts talking to the building again. He doesn't notice me but finishes off when he senses my presence behind him.

"I love you too Robert," I say, smiling warmly. He turns round and smiles back at me and I walk over to sit on his lap. We stay there in the moment, kissing and hugging each other until the food was ready.

"I never noticed how much you value objects until this point." He spurts randomly.

"What do you mean Darling?"

"I see you- just walking around the place. Looking around... I remember when we used to live together, and you would always buy the same products. Even now you still make sure to get the same deodorant." He laughs and leans his forehead on my shoulder. I kiss his slightly greasy hair and sigh.

"I guess I'm not accustomed to change. With all that's gone on... I want to hang onto what I remember, and all I want to remember is you." I lift his head and kiss him again. He turns the dog leg on the spit slowly and I stare out observing the other high rises that have started to conform to our madness. They look normal from the 25th floor but you can almost smell the crazy seeping over to our building.

"I'm glad I found you again. Do you remember when I asked you if we would last forever?" I said lowly, staring off into the distance and focusing on the other high rises.

"I do, and I must say I am an idiot." He smirked. Robert lifted my long, matted hair away from my shoulder and kissed the crook of my neck.

"Why is that darling?" I breathe.

"Because I let you go."

A/N: If you remember I use this ending on the first Laing chapter. I thought this would be a good way to end the miniseries. It rounds it out and it was all because I thought I was copying one of the chapters haha. I've loved writing these ones and I'm sad the Laing stories are finished. 😢I hope you liked it. Share your thoughts. ❤