Apology (Hank)

Hank had been drinking again, I tried to get rid of the stuff he kept around the house, but he still kept drinking. I don't expect him to look after the kids when he's as popular as he is, but I do expect him not to show his demons to them when he is under the influence.

I love him like no other man, and I am there to support him and be an important part of his life, however I can't watch him destroy himself like this. He will kill himself.

I was sat on the couch reading a magazine with Eliza and Sammie playing with their toy trains. Hank had gone out with his band friends to celebrate some sort of achievement he didn't really tell me about. He had been gone for about 3 hours and it was getting late.

"Alright monkeys bed time, you got school tomorrow," I put the magazine down and got up smiling at the groaning pair.

"But momma what about daddy?" Sammie asked, he held onto my dress and flailed about.

"He'll be home soon baby, but you and your sister have gotta go to bed," I placed my hands on both their backs and pushed them gently over to the stairs and got them to bed.

They were finally asleep by 9 and I went back downstairs to wait for Hank.

I had apparently drifted off into a light sleep and I woke suddenly when I heard laughter and a loud thud. I looked over to where the sound came from and saw Hank getting up off the floor. He was clearly drunk.

"Hank..." I groaned as I got up off the couch and went over to his hunch over figure.

"Baby doll... my y/n- what are you doing up?" He fumbled over his words and kept turning his head. He held onto my shoulders for stability, but almost pushed me to the floor because he put all his weight onto me.

"Hank," I looked at him sternly and tried to move his hands from my arms, but he almost fell again.

"C'mon baby, don't be like that..."

"I gonna be like that because I don't like it when you drink," I said again. I walked him over to the couch and he flopped down, spreading himself across it meaning I couldn't sit down. I sat on the arm by his feet instead.

"Lizzie and Sammie wanted to see you."

"I'll see then in the morning," he groaned.

"Well they wanted to see you then," I persisted.

"Well I wasn't there, so they better suck it up until the mornin'," he raised his voice slowly until he was shouting.

"Will you keep your voice down they are tryin' to sleep," I whisper shouted. Hank huffed as he leaned back into the couch throwing his arm over his eyes and soon enough, he was falling asleep. I left him to sleep downstairs and saw Eliza waiting on my bed for me.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" I sat down on the bed in front of her.

"Is daddy angry with us momma?" She whimpered with tears.

"Oh sweetness no, we were just talkin', nothin' bad about you and your brother. Okay?" I kissed her forehead and hugged her tightly as she softly sobbed into my dress.

"Are you and daddy gonna leave each other?" She continued.

"No baby no. No matter what happens between me or daddy, neither of us are gonna leave. I promise baby."

We sat there for a few more moments before I sent her off to bed again.

----the next morning----

I was finishing the eggs for breakfast when Hank decided to join the three of us in the kitchen.

"Morning," he groaned. He was rubbing his head; he definitely had a hangover from last night. He sat down next to Eliza and furrowed his eyebrows as she looked at him. She made a funny face, but he didn't laugh much due to his head.

"Here you'll need this." I passed him a glass of water and 2 aspirins with a note.

Apologise to them. They wanted to see you and now they think you're going to leave them.

Hank looked up at me and I nodded to the children while plating up his eggs and bacon.

"Uhhh Lizzie, Sammie. Momma told me you thought I was gonna leave," he looked down at the curious faces that almost analysed his aching head.

Sammie looked a little confused but nodded. Eliza spoke quietly, just above a mumble, "I heard you shouting about us."

"Eliza we- I went out with some friends last night and when I came home, I was being silly. I was tired and wanted to sleep and momma was tellin' me all these things about you and I didn't listen because I was silly. I'm sorry you think that momma and I are gonna split up. But I promise you we won't because I love her too much and I wouldn't ever want to leave her."

"And daddy will also promise you that he will stop comin' home all silly like he was last night... won't you Hank," my voice was stern enough for him to understand what I was saying.

He paused thinking over what I said. I knew he needed time, but his children needed him to be there. They needed him when they were teenagers and they needed him to be there when they are crying about a lost loves. Eliza and Sammie kept looking at their father while he thought about what to say.

"Maybe..."

A/N: so the children in this aren't names of Hank Williams' real kids I think. I made the names up on the spot so I don't actually know if he had kids with those names hehe. This one I found really hard to come up with a story for. I had the idea of him drinking and apologising for it but I didn't know where to go from there. What did you think? And tell me if you think these stories are too long. I'll try to shorten them but it'll be hard. I love to ramble. So much. hehe. ❤