chapter eighteen

THE DAY OF THE WINTER formal had arrived at last

        THE DAY OF THE WINTER formal had arrived at last. Georgia's hair was a complete disaster where it was bunched up atop her head as she frantically looked through a plethora of clothes. She sat in her room, surrounded by various different fabrics and styles of items.

"Nate!" she shouted loudly, standing to her feet and stumbling out of her room, "Nate, do you have another box of mom's clothes?!"

Nate was positioned at the refrigerator, his head ducked inside to hide his gloating, "Uh, yeah, I think I have something."

Georgia huffed, her hands slapping against her thighs, "Well can you get it for me, please?"

Nate cleared his throat, swapping his smile for tight lips and furrowed brows. He stood up straight, shutting the fridge and turning to his sister. Georgia's head lurched back at the odd glare he gave her.

"Yes, I will get the box," he said in a stoic voice, marching past and into his own room.

Georgia rolled her eyes at his peculiar behavior, going back to her room to start shoving all her clothes back into place. She tried to keep her mom's clothes separate from her own in plastic boxes, hidden at the bottom of her closet in case she ever wanted something.

"Viola."

Georgia turned when Nate entered her room. Her face dropped when she saw he held a present of some sort, wrapped up with a white bow on the lid. Sighing, Georgia stood up in front of him, "Nate, I told you we can't afford a new dress."

"It's not new," Nate said coyly, unable to prevent a smile from lighting up his face, "But it's also not mom's."

"Where'd you get it?" Georgia asked, warily accepting the box from him.

"That's one secret I'll never tell," Nate quoted the only show he really watched, "Just open it."

Georgia had a small smile as she set the box down on her desk, carefully popping the lid off. Her eyes widened when she finally laid her eyes upon the beautiful dress. It was dark blue with tons of jewels around the waist and below the chest region. The whole thing was covered in a rich tulle, making it look soft and flowy.

"Nate," Georgia breathed out, amazed by the dress. She faced her brother with a joyful smile, wrapping him up in a hug, "Thank you, I love it."

"You're welcome, Stinger," Nate replied bashfully.

One of their neighbor's, a little old woman named Ruby Cantella, was an avid story teller. Every time Nate ran into her, he ended up sucked into one of her long stories. He remembered the one story of her prom night with her late husband. Mrs Cantella told him it was such a wonderful night that she kept the dress after all those years.