Chapter 65

Somewhere over the north pacific ocean

The Bus - 12:42 p.m

Melinda and Skye had fallen into a comfortable silence after their heart to heart, thirty odd minutes ago. Skye was watching the clouds as the bus glided through the clear blue sky while her mother had went back to her book since the bus was still on auto-pilot as they headed back in the direction of the US. Skye could understand why her mother loved it up here, there was something tranquil about.

A soft knock sounded at the door of the cockpit.

“Come in,” mother and daughter throw over the shoulder, casually. Skye glanced sideways at her mother, noticing the smile that tugged at the corners of her lips but her eyes still fixed on the page in front of her.

A few seconds later the door opened.

Skye peered her head around the co-pilot chair and acknowledged their visitor. A smile curved her lips at the sight of her father carrying a wooden tray containing food and drinks. A few seconds later Skye’s stomach grumbled and that’s when she realized how hungry she actually was. She realized that it had been a few hours since she had eaten half of her piece of cake.

“I bought lunch for my two favorite women,” Phil supplied with a warm smile as he closed the door with the back of his foot before entering further into the cockpit towards the two loves of his life.

Skye slid out of her seat. “You’re the best, A.C,” she informed her father as she met him in the open space before the seats. “We can have a picnic,” she announced, sitting down on the carpeted floor, crossing her legs.

Phil chuckled down at his imaginative daughter and followed suit, placing the tray on the ground in between them.

Melinda was now standing behind her pilot seat with folded arms as she looked down at her partner and daughter both looking at her as if they were waiting for her to join them. God, she hadn’t been on a picnic in a very long time. It had been before she had transferred to admin and when her and Phil were married the first time.  

Skye patted the spot near her. “Come on,” she instructed the older woman.  

Melinda felt a smile tickle her lips as she gave in and took the several footsteps towards her family. She then sat just off from her daughter and opposite Phil. Her eyes turning downwards, observing in all of the food on the tray. Phil had bought them three different styles of sandwiches, all cut in triangular halves. Three mini bowls of fruit salads and a bottle of juice each.

Skye instantly reaching for a triangle half of a chicken salad sandwich and took a big bit.

“So … why are my two lovely ladies hiding out in the cockpit?” the senior agent questioned as he reached for a sandwich tringale, glancing from mother to daughter.

“Garrett,” they both answered, simultaneously.   

Phil grinned at hearing mother and daughter answer in unison, just more proof of how close they were getting. He knew that Melinda had escaped earlier because she was tired of hearing another one of John’s story, The man loved to talk. Plus she didn’t really like him - just tolerated him eighty percent of the time they were in the same space. John and Melinda always seemed to butt heads, but Phil was curious why Skye was avoiding his old friend.  

“Why’s that, Bug?”

Skye took another big bite of her sandwich so she didn’t have to answer the question right away.

“Skye feels uncomfortable around John,” Melinda simply expressed as she eat her fruit salad, glancing from her partner to daughter.  

Skye chewed her bit as she sent a half assed glare towards her mother who just shrugged it off.