Chapter Six

02:44 am

 Grant was in a peaceful sleep when he felt something whack him. His eyes shot opened as he shot up in his spot. He looked around the bunk, waiting for his eyes adjust to the darkness. That’s when he realized that he wasn’t in his bunk. He felt something beside him whack him again.

“No …” Skye mumbled in her sleep. “Stay awake …”

Grant looked down at his Rookie who was thrashing in her sleep from side to side as she mumbled something. He saw tears sliding down her cheeks. She was having a nightmare! He realized.

“No …” a sob escaped her throat. “Grant, stay with me …” she mumbled. “Please, don’t leave me …”

Grant could hear the fear in her voice. Don’t leave me? Was she having a nightmare about him? Something happened to him? He knew that he had to wake her up. “Skye?” he softly whispered as he gently shook her. “I’m right here, Skye. Please wake up,” he begged, desperation in his voice.

“Noooo,” Skye’s screamed as her eyes shot open and she bolted upright, her heart beated a-mile-a-minute as tears slid down her cheeks. A sob escaped her throat as she panted heavily.

“Skye?” Grant’s voice cut through.

Grant? Skye turned her eyes to her side and absorbed in the sight of her S.O. There was enough light to make his silhouette figure and chiselled jaw. His deep chocolate orbs were watching her with apprehension. He was here? In her bed? That’s when she remembered the movie night. They must have fallen asleep during Lilo and Stitch. Her heart was finally slowly down to it’s normal rhythmic pattern. “What happened?”

Grant was concerned. She didn’t remember? “You were having a nightmare,” he told her in a gravel tone. “You were thrashing in your sleep which woke me and mumbling -”

Panic filled the hacktivist. “What did I say?”

Grant could see that she was worried. “You were just mumbling, it was hard to make out,” he lied, swallowing the lump in his throat. “You seemed pretty scared though … you okay?” he asked, placing a hand on her shoulder and giving it a squeeze.

Skye instantly relaxed at the feel of his touch. “I am now,” she admitted, swallowing hard. He always knew how to make her feel safe. “Just a stupid bad dream.”

Grant knew it was more than just a bad dream with the way she was talking and crying, but if she didn’t want to discuss it then he wouldn’t push the subject like she hadn’t with him last night. “Okay,” he answered, forcing a smile as he gave her shoulder another squeeze before dropping his hand from it. “I guess I should -”  

“Stay,” she whispered. She didn’t want to be alone. “Please,” she practically begged. I won’t be able to sleep if you’re not beside me. I need to know that you’re safe.

Grant felt his heart strings tug at the desperate look in her eyes. He nodded his head before he pulled her into his arms and held her close. “I’m not going anywhere,” he told her as they laid back down together. “I’m right here,” promised.

Skye’s head was resting on her S.O’s chest as she listened to his heartbeat. It soothed her. She didn’t care how intimate this moment seemed or that she might be breaking some boundaries between their friendship - Skye just knew that she felt safe with him right beside her.

Grant gently stroke along her arm as he waited for her to drift of asleep. A couple of minutes passed before he heard her breathing even out and soften. He didn’t stop stroking her arm until his eyelids became heavy and started to drift off asleep himself.